The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > In primary too long?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2007, 11:30 PM   #1
Cheffreyg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default In primary too long?

Quick question:
I put a stout into the primary for fermentation about 2 weeks ago. The airlock stopped action almost a week and a half ago, but I've been really busy and have not been able to bottle yet. I went to do it tonight and realized I didn't have enough caps, so I won't be able to bottle until Saturday. Is 3 weeks too long to leave beer sitting in the primary? It's in a plastic bucket with an airlock, in a dark room. Is this going to do anything negative to my beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2007, 11:32 PM   #2
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Nothing will happen to your beer. Its happy just sitting there waiting for you, that a nice thing about beer.

Remember most people would transfer to a secondary and let it sit there a while longer. However, there are those that don't secondary and let it sit in the primary for 6-8 weeks to get a clearer finish product.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:41 AM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

If you are bottling from the fermenter, I'd say 3 weeks is the minimum.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-21-2007, 01:18 AM   #4
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I just had a similar situation with a porter, relax, everything is fine. I went a month in the primary and I've received great reviews.

Mom was right. Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Where's my beer. I know I left it around here somewhere.....
Kegged/Drinking:Nihilistic Integrity - Black IPA, #1 BIAB pale ale, Bells Two Hearted - yes a keg of the real stuff
Kegged/Conditioning:Wally N Seans Braggot, Emerald Eyes - Irish Red, Atomic Tsunami - brown
Primary:empty

Old 11-21-2007, 01:26 AM   #5
Buzzy
Recipes 

Default Be careful!

Did you check with a hydrometer to see if it is ready to be bottled? I would think that your are safe but I wouldn't want to bottle to early and risk having bottle bombs.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:37 AM   #6
Brakeman_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabee John
I just had a similar situation with a porter, relax, everything is fine. I went a month in the primary and I've received great reviews.

Ill second that, if anything it will be a better, clearer beer, bottle that bad boy up!

By the way that porter rocks John, a good cold weather brew!

Old 11-23-2007, 11:02 AM   #7
Danek
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheffreyg
Quick question:
I put a stout into the primary for fermentation about 2 weeks ago. The airlock stopped action almost a week and a half ago, but I've been really busy and have not been able to bottle yet. I went to do it tonight and realized I didn't have enough caps, so I won't be able to bottle until Saturday. Is 3 weeks too long to leave beer sitting in the primary? It's in a plastic bucket with an airlock, in a dark room. Is this going to do anything negative to my beer?
From what I've read, it seems an increasing number of people are leaving their beers in primary for longer than the 7 to 10 days that are often recommended. I've left all mine in primary for two weeks, but I'm going to up that to three weeks for my next batch. I've heard the theory is that giving the yeast longer to tidy up after itself can lead to better beers.

So if that logic holds, your beer will be better after three weeks in primary than if you'd only left it two weeks. Either way, you'll be fine.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:37 PM   #8
LS_Grimmy

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Howdy,

I have an AG APA in the primary right now for 5 weeks (Which im bottling tomorrow)... I use to always secodary but I find I get a better/clearer beer by just leaving it in the primary. Also I don't increase the ods of infection by moving it into another carboy. I was one of those 1-2-3 rule guys for years but after listening to a few people over the years I decided to try something different. Now I just let the beer tell me when to bottle.

Cheers
Grimmy

My Web Site:
www.grimmysbeer.com

Last edited by LS_Grimmy; 11-24-2007 at 01:41 PM.

Quick Reply