Please help QUICK!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodapop

Reaction score
Just Boiled an extract Irish Stout, and made the mistake of topping up with too much water ( my third batch and switched to a new primary bucket) I wanted to top it up to the 5 gallon mark, but added an extra gallon of water so I have 6 gallons of water and only five gallons of ingredients. I knew it as soon as I did it but there was no way to take it back. What can I do to fix this? can I just add DME to bring the gravity up, or does it have to be boiled?. SG according to recipe was 1..042-1.046, adn Im only at 1.029. THIS SUX!!! Please help ASAP.
THANKS!!!

You can add DME and it doesn't need to boil. Add 1 pound per gallon. Everything will be fine. You will still have a good beer and as long as you don't tell anyone no one will notice. If you leave the DME out it will be a little light on body.

Forrest

If the DME comes straight out of the package into the wort, then there's very little risk of infection.

less risk adding DME than LME

I've heard of plenty people opening LME and there's some mold inside. never heard anyone open fresh LME and have that happen.

Back