Plate Chiller Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSong

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of users of these chillers. I'm currently using a copper coil and it works fine.. but considering a 30-40 plate chiller. My question may seem rhetorical or dumb.. but.... here goes..

When I chill my wort with the coil, there is a lot of trub left in the pot that I don't transfer to the fermenter. However, it seems, when using the plate chiller, that a lot of that trub gets transferred.

I understand the whirlpool effect idea. Am I overly concerned with trub transfer? Is it relatively minimal? I'd like to leave as much of that as I can behind.

Grats... Bill

You'd usually whirlpool and/or have some sort of screen to prevent excessive trub and hop particle pickup. The effect of trub in the fermentor is relatively minor, but I personally prefer a clean wort going into the fermentor because plate chillers are a bit of a pain to clean. I currently Whirlpool for 30 minutes using a pump that recirculates wort through my crappy generic plate chiller (by starting the pump with 10-15 minutes to go in the boil, it also sanitizes the lines and the chiller), let it settle for 15 minutes, and then very slowly run off through my Hop Blocker and plate chiller into the fermentor.

FYI, this will be my first AG.. when I get all my current questions answered. I'm currently trying to get some info for a valve (in DIY section) answered. Once I get that worked out, I'll be having a bazooka screen in the MT to keep most of the unwanted stuff out of the boil kettle.

I think my question is about keeping most of the trub out of the plate chiller while cooling the wort for the fermenter. Again, there I can see the whirlpool for much of it.. maybe even tilting the kettle back to have most of it settle away from the valve. Right now I simply siphon.. and I do tilt the kettle back on an edge while stirring. That seems to get most of it settling away from the point where the auto-siphon rests. It usually comes out pretty clean.

OR..... not having done any of this, am I looking at the process totally wrong?

I'm guessing that what I'll be doing is to manually collect wort from the MT and pouring it back into the MT until it runs clear.. or as clear as I can get it. Then draining into the BK. I'm sure some of the hop additions well, as usual, add to the gunk on the bottom of the BK, even if I use a large hop sack.

Back