Is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjward101

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this us normal or not. I brewed a very light lme and hops only beer last friday, and realized late in the game that I only had wyeast irish ale yeast on hand (smack pack, 1084 I think). I had a pretty active fermentation going for 2 days, and it seems that it may be done, but the krausen hasnt dropped still. I plan on taking musketeer readings over the next few days for diagnosis...which I don't normally do until day 14 at the earliest.

I guess my question is would I normally expect to see the krausen doing a bit by now? My understanding was that on a sub 4% beer, using extract only, I would usually be fermented out in about a week (yes...I'm only doing 3 week primaries anyways, but just trying to understand the process a bit better).

Could the yeast not be a hours match for such a light beer?

Lastly, I am hungry. Just thought you all should know.

there is no normal for a krausen. i would just go get something to eat and come back to the fermenter another day.

Back