Mild panic, Fermentation keeps going

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yettiman

Reaction score
Hi,

The fermentation, is till going after 2 and half weeks, temp is a little cool at 64-65.

Should I panic, or just wait?

I had expected it to stop bynnow, should I warm it up, or just wait?

Thank you

Have you tested your gravity yet? That's really the only way to tell if fermentation has stopped. If the reading doesn't change over a couple of days, you're good to go.

Yes, I had a recent batch (wheat ale) that bubbled almost a week after it was racked to the secondary, slowly but surley it stopped after a week in the secondary. +1 to checking the gravity quickly it tells all.

Never panic - just wait. As said, it could still be going, or it could not. If it was a higher gravity beer, it can take several weeks to ferment out completely. I'll assume you are watching your airlock and trusting it as a level of active fermentation -- this is NOT the way to judge if your beer is still fermenting!! You need to check your gravity and then again in a few days. If it is the same, it is done. If it is changing, it is not. There are many good reasons your airlock can be bubbling and only one is that fermentation is still happening. Changes in temperature, barometric pressure, your cat/dog/son/daughter/you keep touching it, etc can cause gas to come out of the solution and make the airlock move. Stop thinking about it and go measure the gravity.

I've noticed that with some of my brews that when I walk by it always seems to bubble a little. I attribute this to the grub on the bottom releasing some co2. Take a hydrometer reading to see if you hit your sweet spot! Good luck

I've noticed that with some of my brews that when I walk by it always seems to bubble a little. I attribute this to the grub on the bottom releasing some co2. Take a hydrometer reading to see if you hit your sweet spot! Good luck

If your floor isn't super stiff, there's some spring to it.

You're probably releasing some CO2 from suspension with your footsteps.

Yeah that and I'm a fat ass lol

Now that's not what I meant at all.

All floors have a certainly amount of give to them. Unless you have a steel i-beam apartment building or a subfloor engineered for 1/2" of natural stone tiles, there's a meaningful amount of flex in it. We just don't often notice it.

Have taken the instructions to heart. Have measured, recorded the reading, and will do so in another 3 days.

Thanks for the advice

Back