Maris Otter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShackNasty

Reaction score
I read (somewhere that I do not recall at present time) that Maris Otter has enough enzymatic converting ability for itself. So if I wanted to use it as a base malt in a partial mash should I use twice as much Maris Otter compared to say 2-row as a base malt?

Thanks in advance.

Unless I am mistaken, you can essentially sub Maris Otter for standard two row, and vice versa.

Maris Otter has nearly the diastatic power of american 2-row, so feel free to sub it 1-to-1 for any "normal" recipe. It is less, but we are talking 140lL vs 120L. You only need a net 35L to convert. Unless you are putting in a ton of non-self-converting grains with the Maris Otter, you'll be fine.

Maris Otter has nearly the diastatic power of american 2-row, so feel free to sub it 1-to-1 for any "normal" recipe. It is less, but we are talking 140lL vs 120L. You only need a net 35L to convert. Unless you are putting in a ton of non-self-converting grains with the Maris Otter, you'll be fine.

Ah, that makes sense. Thank you for the useful information. Much appreciated.

should I use twice as much Maris Otter compared to say 2-row as a base malt?

Thanks in advance.

As mentioned above Maris Otter is a base malt just like 2 row. You should use some kind of brewing software (if you aren't already, but I'll assume you're not) if you're designing recipes, so you can figure out how much Maris Otter (or any other grain) you need to use. I use http://beertools.com/html/calculator.php , because it's free. My numbers always match perfect. There's other software you can use, as well.

As mentioned above Maris Otter is a base malt just like 2 row. You should use some kind of brewing software (if you aren't already, but I'll assume you're not) if you're designing recipes, so you can figure out how much Maris Otter (or any other grain) you need to use. I use http://beertools.com/html/calculator.php , because it's free. My numbers always match perfect. There's other software you can use, as well.

Checking it out now, thank you!

Also Maris Otter has a lot more protine than 2row. So in your mash tun you will see a thicker gray layer on top that is the protine cake. In isn't a problem but you will notice it. If you have a good LHBS taste Golden Promise and Maris Otter side by side. Depends on the brew but I like using Golden Promise nice lite bready flavor but still clean.

Another free online recipe calculator is Beer Calculus on Hopville.com. I used it for several brews before I got Beersmith 2 for more information/control. It worked very well, is easy to use and the beers came out great.

Also you can read How to Brew online. It is the original version (the printed is an update) so there is some outdated information. This will show you how the different ingredients go together.

You can make a beer using ingredients improperly and still the numbers in the software would lead you think it was OK, but the results would not be good, so knowing how the ingredients work is important when creating a recipe.

Another free online recipe calculator is Beer Calculus on Hopville.com. I used it for several brews before I got Beersmith 2 for more information/control. It worked very well, is easy to use and the beers came out great.

Also you can read How to Brew online. It is the original version (the printed is an update) so there is some outdated information. This will show you how the different ingredients go together.

You can make a beer using ingredients improperly and still the numbers in the software would lead you think it was OK, but the results would not be good, so knowing how the ingredients work is important when creating a recipe.

So I guess I will post the grist for the porter I am looking to create. Which, of course, I am going to try using Maris Otter!
Remember, this is a partial mash.

1.5 lbs Light DME 4L 37.5%

1.5 lbs Maris Otter 3.75L 37.5%

4 oz Biscuit 23L 6.3%

4 oz Crystal 120 120L 6.3%

4oz Chocolate 350L 6.3%

2oz Black Patent 525L 3,1%

2oz Flaked Barley 2.2L 3.1%

It may be evident that I am going for a dark, dark beer, with lots of body. Hence the use of both biscuit and C-120, in addition to Chocolate and Black patent.

So I guess I will post the grist for the porter I am looking to create. Which, of course, I am going to try using Maris Otter!
Remember, this is a partial mash.

1.5 lbs Light DME 4L 37.5%

1.5 lbs Maris Otter 3.75L 37.5%

4 oz Biscuit 23L 6.3%

4 oz Crystal 120 120L 6.3%

4oz Chocolate 350L 6.3%

2oz Black Patent 525L 3,1%

2oz Flaked Barley 2.2L 3.1%

It may be evident that I am going for a dark, dark beer, with lots of body. Hence the use of both biscuit and C-120, in addition to Chocolate and Black patent.

I'm guessing this is for a smaller batch (2.5 gallons) with around 5% ABV. If so, this could work well.

Personally, I'd put in 4oz Roasted Barley and take out the Black Patent. I'd probably also increase the Flaked Barley to 4oz.

I'm guessing this is for a smaller batch (2.5 gallons) with around 5% ABV. If so, this could work well.

Personally, I'd put in 4oz Roasted Barley and take out the Black Patent. I'd probably also increase the Flaked Barley to 4oz.

Yes, this is a 2.5 gallon batch.
I was thinking that I would make a batch with the Black patent, and then make a second 2.5 gal batch using the Roasted Barley. I am still learning specialty grains (base grains as well!!!) and the characters they impart. Do the Patent and Roasted Barley give off similar character? Why would you substitute the two?
I think I will increase the Flaked Barley, I like that idea.

Back