Which Malt for Kolsch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KendallAdkins

Reaction score
So, a week from tomorrow I am going to brew a SMaSH Kolsch (AG). My LHBS doesn't carry a Kolsch or Pilsner malt though, which seem to be the two most common for the style.

My choices of base malts are 2 row, 6 row, Marris Otter, and Pale Ale.

I guess I am leaning towards just basic 2 row, but I am wondering what your thoughts are.

Hop varieties are Cascade, Simcoe, Willamette, Amarillo, Centennial, Millennium, Falconer's Flight, Galena, and Hallertau.

Leaning towards the Hallertau as I presume it is the most true to style, being German and all.

Thanks for the help!

It won't be a kolsch without pilsner malt making up pretty much the entire grain bill. I'd consider ordering pilsner online if it's not available at your LHBS. Out of the listed hop varieties, I'd definitely choose Hallertau, but my personal preference is Tettnang. Good luck!

Koelsch is one of those styles that is very specific and doesn't leave much room for interpretation. They kind of rely on grainy continental pilsner malt, noble hops and, of course, Koelsch yeast.

In an ideal world, I use Heidelberg Koelsch malt for 100% of the grain bill with a single decoction mash (113 -> 152). Spalt spalter hops are my preferred choice. WYeast 2565 with a good starter and a very tight modified Narziss fermentation schedule, including lowering to 40F at 1 degree per 24 hours at low krausen. Lager for 3-4 weeks then use gelatin.

Or, you could get some of that Pale Ale malt, Cascades and American yeast and make a killer blonde ale with half the effort. Not the same, but I'm lazy.

So, blonde ale is basically a broader, American version of Kolsch? Obviously that is an over simplification.

That's pretty accurate. In fact, since "Blonde Ale" is no longer a cool term, a lot of commercial American breweries are calling their examples "American Kolsch."

The main differences are ingredient origin and that very special Koelsch hybrid yeast. I'd be scared to do an American blonde with Koelsch yeast for fear of it being too close.

Back