Is little to zero kräusen ok with this recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burtonridr

Reaction score
I have been experimenting with Grocery and Produce batches this week and I'm not sure if they are fermenting correctly or not.

The two batches are very similar, flaked oats or grape nuts for grains, molasses for sugar and ovaltine for malt. The SG of the two batches came out to 1.05 and 1.075. For yeast I used turbo yeast(which I'm sure I will highly regret). both batches took off within 12 hours and have bubbled for atleast 24-36 hrs, I'm not at home so I dont know if they are still bubbling or not.

But the thing that has me concerned is there is no kräusen forming at the top? But I still have a nice cake forming at the bottom.

Is this normal?

Oh and I shook them to introduce more oxygen every hour or so for the first 4 hours.

Let me know if I need to include more information about the batches before you can give me an answer.

That seems diferent. I do not always get krausen even with traditional brewing. Depends on if I make a starter and how cold I am fermenting. If you do not see one I would not worry.

That seems diferent. I do not always get krausen even with traditional brewing. Depends on if I make a starter and how cold I am fermenting. If you do not see one I would not worry.

So, does a colder wort temp while pitching = more krausen?

I pitched both batches at 80-85* F

Back