Late stage clarifying

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beestin

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch (Midwest's Octaine IPA extract kit). I didn't filter the wort in the primary - fermented for 2 weeks and now it's in the secondary off the trub. The beer looks extremely hazy. At this point in the process is there anything i can do to clarify? I read that cold conditioning can work to clear the beer. I took the sample i used in the hyrdrometer and put it in the fridge. It appears a lot of stuff cleared to the bottom but it's still very hazy. I see things like whirlfloc tabs, irish moss, etc but those all appear to be used during the boil.

Any suggestions?

Well you should use whirlfloc or irish moss, it's a good clearing agent. But all is not lost. Get some gelatin packs at the grocery store. Melt some in about a pint of water - don't let it get above 180F, but make sure it's dissolved. Then let it cool a bit and pour it right into your secondary. This works best if the beer is chilled first. Let it set three more days, or until you're ready to keg/bottle. Proceed as normal. This works really well to clear beer up.

You should've left it in primary,sounds like it wasn't quite done yet. What was your OG/FG? Secondary fermentation is a misnomer. Secondaries are just bright tanks for clearing the beer. That can happen just as well in primary on it's own time schedule.

Can i leave the gelatin in the secondary for longer than 3 days? I was going to dry hop for about 10 days here in the next day or 2. Can i put it in at the same time i do that?

It's supposed to be cold here overnight in a few days (lows in the 30's) Can i just put the secondary outside and "cold condition?" How long would it need to stay outside in that type of weather? Would the increasing temp during the daytime affect it if i left it outside for 2-3 days? Can i cold condition then bring back to room temperature for another week until i bottle?

Sorry for all the noob quesitons. Thanks!

OG was 1.080 although i think that was incorrect due to taking reading while somewhat still hot and not stirring very well. FG was 1.020 which the kit called for 1.012-1.018 so i was slightly high. Will sitting in the secondary lower it any or once it's off the trub its done fermenting?

Taking it off the yeast cake too soon can cause it to stall. I wouldn't use gelatin at the same time as dry hopping. Can't cheat the clock here. A cold garage might be better than out in the weather. I wouldn't trust that myself.

Hmm.. not sure the yeast went nuts for about 3-4 days then slowed down. The last week it was doing next to nothing. The kit said to ferment for 1 week but i left it for 2.

Yeah i was thinking garage. Next week the highs are 40's/50's and lows 30's so thought about setting it in the garage for 2-3 nights? Will that work to clarify before transfering to bottling bucket to bottle?

Any aging you give it will clear it some, and cold-crashing it will help clear it some. Gelatin works wonders as well, that's why I passed it on. It is fine to do it after your dry hop period is over, even with the hops still in there. In fact, I once dry-hopped in a keg with leaf hops, which turned a clear beer cloudy. I added the gelatin right in the keg. Three days later and a couple of discarded pints and the beer was crystal clear.

Back