How is my tap water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends on what you want to brew, really. But as a basic starting point for most beers, you should be perfectly fine. Though I would suggest using some method for neutralizing your chlorine with every batch, such as potassium metabisulfite.

Water chemistry plays a few roles in making your beers better. Preventing off-flavors, enhancing characteristics of certain styles, and providing yeast with essential nutrients.

To give you some more details, it looks like you have 35 ppm Calcium which is good since the majority of beers (if not all) benefit from having at least 40-50 ppm clacium for optimal yeast health. You can probably get by with what you have, but adding some gypsum or calcium chloride would be good.

Both your Chloride and Sulfate are below 100 which is also a good thing. Sulfate is used to highlight hop bitterness in some styles, and chloride enhances malt characteristics. So you can use additions to raise either of those appropriately based on whatever style you are brewing.

Of course, making additions to the water will alter its pH (as does the grain if you are doing an all-grain brew or partial mash). I suggest using a resource such as "Bru'n Water" (a downloadable spreadsheet) to calculate pH and the additions you need to make to really accentuate the characteristics of the style you are brewing.

I have that and I usually use reverse osmosis water. But I switched to 10-12 gallon batches and I'm not a fan of toting around those bigass water jugs from the store. I will neutralize the chlorine and add the sulfates depending on the beer.

Also, I do about 1% acidulated malt in my beers for pH control. I've read it is good for phenolic style beers as well.

Back