Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How long can we wait before pitching the yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2007, 07:06 AM   #1
priapismismyname
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How long can we wait before pitching the yeast?

After brewing the wart in our large pot we transferred the wart into our 5 gallon fermenter. Due to laziness we forgot to place the yeast packet in the refrigerator immediately after returning from the home brew store. Can we hold off on pitching the yeast until we pick up a new packet?

The yeast has been sitting in a room temperature of about 80 degrees Fahrenheit for over a week. As of now the wart is sitting in a cool dark place. Will we ruin our brew if we wait to pitch the yeast or must it be added immediately as the temperature reaches the optimal level?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2007, 07:27 AM   #2
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'd pitch it immediately, and if you don't see any signs of fermentation in about 24-48 hours, buy more yeast. The longer that wort sits there, the more worried I'd get about it picking up a stray bacteria.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 07-06-2007, 08:22 AM   #3
DeadYetiBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
I'd pitch it immediately, and if you don't see any signs of fermentation in about 24-48 hours, buy more yeast. The longer that wort sits there, the more worried I'd get about it picking up a stray bacteria.
what dude said

Old 07-06-2007, 03:41 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

Pitch it. Since you said packet, I'd assume you have a dried yeast. 80F for a week is nothing. Even for a liquid vial, it's not a big deal.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-07-2007, 02:55 AM   #5
priapismismyname
Recipes 

Thanks for the info. We got a new packet of yeast and pitched it within about 12 hours of removing the wort from the stove. Now we wait........

Quick Reply