Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hot water in carboy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
Funktipus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hot water in carboy?

Hello all-

Wish my first post could have been made under better circumstances (lol) but I made a rookie's mistake on my second batch.

See, I was doing a partial boil, and needed some cool water in my plastic carboy for later. Naturally, I boiled a gallon, cooled it down with a near-frozen bottle of water, and chucked it in to the jug, which was sitting in a sink full of cold water to bring it to room temperature.

Well, I guess the water I'd boiled was still too hot. The carboy got heat-warped about three inches from the bottom.

I am only posting this now because I'm in the kitchen, steeping mash, and need to figure out if I need to transfer into a bucket until I can go to the LHBS tomorrow. Does anyone here think the carboy may still be okay to use? I figure the water in there probably isn't, who knows what it picked up from the plastic. =/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
ChandlerBrewery
Recipes 

If it's a "made for brewing" plastic carboy, then I doubt there's any harmful chems in it. Does it smell bad? The only thing I can think of is that it might have compromised it's ability to keep oxygen out, but if you just use it for a primary and transfer it to something else for secondary, I don't see why you couldn't use it.

"Beer is good... and stuff!"

-Psychostick Song

Old 10-12-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
joshpooh
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't have experience with the plastic carboys, but I would think if it still holds water and you wash it out good it should be fine.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:21 PM   #4
birvine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

As long as it can still stand up, that is.

B

Old 10-13-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
Funktipus
Recipes 

Thanks for the input, guys! Got it into the carboy okay, after I rinsed it out and sanitized there was no off smell at all.

The distortion wasn't really that bad, just a ring around the bottom turned into a little "waist". Sorta helpful, actually, as it gives me a handle when pouring out sanitizer. XD

I'll let you know how it tastes in a couple weeks!

Quick Reply