HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Help please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 01:57 PM   #11
MisterOJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWolf View Post
Personally, the shortest amount of time I leave a beer in the primary is 2 week, but 4-6 weeks is my standard. You don't need a secondary unless you want to clear the beer more, or add additional ingredients.
I've been reading several of the long primary vs. secondary threads and had decided on skipping the secondary with my next batch until reading this quote. Does the secondary really help increase clarity? Or is that also debatable?

Also, I am brewing an ESB tomorrow. Is that even a brew where I should worry much about clarity?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2011, 02:00 PM   #12
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3444

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterOJ View Post
I've been reading several of the long primary vs. secondary threads and had decided on skipping the secondary with my next batch until reading this quote. Does the secondary really help increase clarity? Or is that also debatable?

Also, I am brewing an ESB tomorrow. Is that even a brew where I should worry much about clarity?
I've never found the need to "clear more" after a month in primary my beer is crystal clear. I think folks who long primary and then rack to secondary are kinda missing the purpose of long primaries, AND delaying the process til beer drinking longer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-18-2011, 02:04 PM   #13
BlueWolf
Recipes 

Quote:

I suppose I should put that in perspective from personal experience. Leaving a beer sit longer will inevitably allow excess mass to fall to the bottom. When moving my primaries in order to bottle or keg, it tends to kick up sediment, along with anything a racking cane is resting on when transferring. So a secondary helps minimize the amount of sediment can be re-dispersed into the beer when you have to disturb the vessel. I hope that makes more sense.

Edit: And I guess I can see how that statement was confusing. It was really two statements. I was NOT suggesting letting a beer sit in primary for 4-6 weeks and THEN racking to secondary. Yes, that would be about pointless unless you finally wanted to do something to the beer again.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #14
MisterOJ
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWolf View Post
I suppose I should put that in perspective from personal experience. Leaving a beer sit longer will inevitably allow excess mass to fall to the bottom. When moving my primaries in order to bottle or keg, it tends to kick up sediment, along with anything a racking cane is resting on when transferring. So a secondary helps minimize the amount of sediment can be re-dispersed into the beer when you have to disturb the vessel. I hope that makes more sense.
Makes perfect sense, actually. This might be something I do because I am going to be storing my beer in an upstairs closet and then bringing it downstairs to bottle in the kitchen.

Hmmm... just when I had my mind made up, this board gives me something else to consider. That's a good thing, though.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:28 PM   #15
Pappers_

Recipes 

Liked 803 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 1817

Quote:
Makes perfect sense, actually. This might be something I do because I am going to be storing my beer in an upstairs closet and then bringing it downstairs to bottle in the kitchen.

Hmmm... just when I had my mind made up, this board gives me something else to consider. That's a good thing, though.
You'll want to consider bringing it down the night or day before - carrying a full carboy is almost certain to kick up sediment, whether or not you use a secondary.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:02 PM   #16
RM-MN
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 636 Times on 532 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
You'll want to consider bringing it down the night or day before - carrying a full carboy is almost certain to kick up sediment, whether or not you use a secondary.
And then you put it in a bottle and let it carbonate and settle out for a couple weeks or even months and all the sediment you kicked up when you moved it is stuck to the bottom of the bottle. Your beer will still be clear.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:31 PM   #17
daksin

Recipes 

Liked 267 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 321

Quote:
ESB yeast is SUPER flocculant. If you did everything right up until bottling, then you have nothing to worry about. The worst you could possibly have is a little chill haze, but that should be a non-issue if you use some irish moss/whilfloc and get a halfway decent cold break. Since gelatin mainly removes yeast, and this yeast is going to be flocced out anyway, it's not necessary.

So no, you don't have to worry about clarity on the ESB.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I'm opening up!

twitter.com/twokidsbrewing .. facebook.com/twokidsbrewing .. twokidsbrewing.com

Quick Reply