Grains Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakis

Reaction score
The recipe I am making tomorrow calls for American 2-row however, at the store in Toronto I can get Candian 2-row or american 6-row. Which one of these would be a better subsitute.

Go with the 2 row. I've never used 6 row but it's a different kind of barley with different (supposedly inferior) flavor. Brewers use 6 row for beers to help convert cheap adjuncts (corn, rice, etc)

Sounds good. It also asks for.

American Munich (german munich will do the trick right)
American crystal 60L (again any crystal will do the trick)
Special Roast (what would this be?)

I'm assuming you're brewing an American pale, right? That's fine if it's all you can get. American crystal probably works best, different crystal malts at the same lovibond don't give similar flavors (I think Caramunich is more intense than C60 for example)

I have the option of crystal 120, crystal 77, crystal 15, cyrstal 150, cyrstal 45

Sounds good. It also asks for.

American Munich (german munich will do the trick right)
American crystal 60L (again any crystal will do the trick)
Special Roast (what would this be?)

Was there a lovi/ebc rating for the Am. Munich? Sometimes there's Am. Munich that is darker then a dark German Munich. But generally speaking you can sub the two.

Find a crystal with similar lovi rating. Most maltsters offer a crystal in this range. 77L should be fine.

Special roast is a 50L malt and I'm not aware of a sub. The next best thing would be a Biscuit or Victory malt.

I can get digermans special b or dingermans bisuit malt for the special roast?

Back