Graff... Bad batch or just Young?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
So I brewed a Graff a few weeks back and while most people say it tastes pretty good right off the bad Mine smells a little of sulfur, a bit of spice and apple and tastes like vague apple up front with citrusy tones on the finish and boozey I guess and very bitter on the finish.
Most cider's I have had are sweeter. This one is slightly sweet at the front and then finish gets quite bitter.
I followed the recipe exactly how the OP made the recipe. I used US-05. I did not take a OG and FG unfortunately.
While Ciders are not my favorite I can drink them and they are decently pleasant, just not my favorite drink. I have had the wife, as well as some siblings taste it and all have the same feel about it.... bitter, not very sweet and "tastes off".
I believe I used Ahtanum hops.
It has been in the keg for about a week and a half, and before that it was in the primary for 3 weeks.
Think it's too young still or just a bad batch somehow?

Anyone "brewed" this before and have the same results or is this just me and an issue I am having with my batch.

I think it will turn out fine. For the sulfur aroma try adding copper, can't remember if its copper dioxide, sulfate, specifically but its common in winemaking for neutralizing that smell.

Back