Give meet descriptions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheesewiz6

Reaction score
What does green beer taste like? What would a yeast flavor taste like? What does a beer that was bottled before it was done fermenting taste like? What does infected beer taste like? All my beer seems to taste the same but I don't know what is going wrong. It's not bad but the finished product never comes out the way I am hoping. I also don't know how to describe my finished product or I would.

Green: can range from overly-sweet, to grassy, bland and/or green apple-esque.

Yeast: akin to bread dough, most of the time.

Infected: wide range depending on the infection. There is usually a tell-tale sign of infection with white blotches and/or fibrous material growing on top of the brew, and tastes/smells can range from mold/musty to spoiled food (i.e. cheese). Again, depends on the infection type.

What would you say is wrong with your beer? Are you trying different recipes (i.e. pale ale vs IPA vs English brown etc) or just the same recipe? Homebrew does have its own unique flavor & smell profile-it could be your taste buds getting used to actual flavor in a beer if you're used to Bud/Miller/Coors etc!

Well a year ago I started to drink a ton of craft brews so I would think these would be closer to what I am trying to brew. So I don't think it's that I am just getting used to home brews. Ok so I drink a Rockey mountain IPA. Then I look for a recipe to make it. I make mine and it's missing the hops even at a 67 ibu rating using a calculator online. I think I have been jumping the gun and bottling before it is completely done fermenting. Last batch OG was 1.070 And bottled it at 1.020 could this give it a taste that could over power hops? I use the same kind of dme for every brew breiss light dme change specialty grains and hops for type of beer. I believe the DME gets changed to alchohal right? So if I haven't let the dme fully convert and it's been the same dme for every batch is this my problem? Is dme strong enough to over take hop's? Ok if this helps I use 5 to 7 lbs per 5 gallons based on how dark I make the beer. Ferment with ale yeast at 69 degrees tried different types all dry.

Okay, there are some details...a few more, please.
Since your concern is that perhaps you're bottling too soon, (not done), how long do you wait between yeast pitch and bottling? How long after bottling to calling it "done?"

DME can overpower hops - what is your Rocky Mountain IPA recipe?
Dry hopping an IPA can immensely improve it's hop aroma/flavor characteristics. Are you dry-hopping? for how long?

we'll try to help get you there...

FWIW, mine are really tasting similar to craft brews - my early ones were more "home brewed" tasting, but yeast pitching rates, temperature control, enough time to clean up...I'll hold mine up to commercial craft these days... so yes, it can be done!

Usually wait a week to bottled and 3 weeks in the bottle.

Way too fast. Leave it at least 3 weeks in the fermenter, IMHO. And of course, always take a hydrometer reading to be sure it is finished.

Also, I agree with hang glider... your hopping method may be an issue- especially with IPA's. If you are just adding all of the hops at the beginning of the boil, you only get bittering. It is very difficult for many to taste a difference between different bittering hops. In that case, since you are using the same base malt (light DME), and apparently the same yeast ("ale yeast"- infers a simple dry yeast- all of which are pretty neutral IMO), that would only leave you with the specialty grains. Depending on how much and what kind of specialty grains you are using, that could have little to a lot of difference in flavor. But overall, if you are just using bittering hops, the same base malt, the same yeast, and only some specialty grains, then for the most part you are essentially making the same beer over and over again.

Back