Getting my equipment together

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twilight

Reaction score
Hi everyone

First post have some questions...

1) I have a keg and thinking of converting to a keggle, however it already has a spigot attached... but the spigot is not attached to the side, instead there is a hole in the center at the bottom of the keg with a pipe connecting to the spigot. Is this keg useable?

2) I was thinking I could boil my first batch in two 3 gallon pots (I don't have anything bigger) for a 3 gallon boil and just splitting my ingredients in half and combing them after, or I could buy a bigger Pot.

3) I need to drill a hole in my fermenter lid... I will either drill a small hole and stick a rubber grommet on or drill a bigger one and use a # 2 or 3 bung. What would you suggest?

Well these are my only concerns for now... I should be ready to brew my own beer in a few days.:cross:

Cheers

1. keg doesn't sound usable with that bottom welded spigot. I'd be afraid of cooking off the solder (sure, it takes like 800F to melt solder...but it takes a lot of heat to boil 7 gallons of wort)

2. splitting to two smaller pots works fine. i had to do this until I went all grain and bought a 9gallon brewpot. remember you'll still need top off water in the fermenter...with an hours evaporation two 3 gallon pots will get you maybe 4 gallons of wort.

3. either is fine. i've never had the grommet pop out like some people complain about. i'd personally go for the grommet sized hole first.

malkore said:
1. keg doesn't sound usable with that bottom welded spigot. I'd be afraid of cooking off the solder (sure, it takes like 800F to melt solder...but it takes a lot of heat to boil 7 gallons of wort)

Welding and soldering are two different processes. If it was solder the keg would never get hot enough to reflow the solder as long as there is wort in the keg.

There might be some rubber or teflon that may melt or deform at lower temperatures. I'd cap the hole and put the valve on the side.

Back