Foggy beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Let it go in the primary fermenter at least 3 weeks to help it clear naturally

2. look into "Cold Crashing" to help the proteins and dead yeast cells settle out of suspension before bottling

3. Look into "fining agents" like gelatin, Wirfloc and Irish Moss.

4. After your beer is ready to drink give it another 2 weeks under refrigeration and you will be surprised how much it clears! I've had wheat beers drop as clear as a filtered lager from cold conditioning!

This is my pale ale at 3 weeks after bottling:
GalaxyS3backup188_zps18e4b960.jpg

This is the same pale ale after 4 weeks in bottles and 2 weeks in the fridge!
GalaxyS3backup219_zps77ae0c7f.jpg

Here's what I do,no clearing agents or anything. I try to chill the wort in 20 minutes or less. This gives little or no chill haze at fridge time. I leave the beer in primary till FG is reached. Then give it 3-7 days after that to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty,depending on yeast &/or brewing method. Then rack to bottling bucket & prime. After 3-5 days in the bottles,they settle out clear. 3-4 weeks at 70 or so to carb & condition.
Then at least a week in the fridge to settle any chill haze or silty stuff from PM biab's finer crush. 2 weeks in the fridge gives thicker head & longer lasting carbonation. And the beer will now be crystal clear. If carbonation was succesfull,I've even noticed right after finishing the pour that a "bubble tornado" forms in the glass. I started getting that last year when all came together successfully. Cool sight.

Back