First brew an IPA distinct after taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FryingPan

Reaction score
This is my first brew and I am not sure if the beer is green infected or just not a good beer. Brewed it the 1st weekend in January and bottled it the last weekend and January. I have been sampling a beer ever week since. Has a nice hoppy flavor but a strong after flavor. I suck at describing flavors but it's almost earthy. Any ideas?

Most likely it is green and undercarbonated. For me it takes about 6 to 8 weeks before my beer is ready to drink and definitely at least 2-3 weeks in the bottle to carb properly. Give it more time.

+1 to what phuff said.

Inpatience is a brewer's enemy. 6-8 wks is the bare minimum that I wait before drinking one of mine.

Some of the absolute BEST beers that I have had were ones that have sat for 3 or 4 months and they are fantastic. The yeast have to be allowed to go back and clean up after themselves, and they sometimes need 2 or 3 months to get this done well.

Eh... an IPA is going to start losing flavor/aroma as you start getting into the multiple month range.

That being said, you should see some improvement with weeks 4 and 5.

Also, what's your recipe? Certain hops definitely impart "earthy" flavors. I did an all-Centennial IPA a couple batches ago that had a certain "centennial funk" that similar brews with different hops for the bittering addition did not, and lots of people around here will swear to you that fuggles taste like dirt.

But, still, I'd wait until week five or so post-bottling to blame the hops.

Both post #2 and #3 contain generalizations and because of this are not completely correct. Light color/low alcohol beers may be ready to drink a week after bottling but dark color/higher alcohol beers need more time. the amount of time depends on just how dark and how much alcohol. I sampled a Belgian Wit after only a week and it was quite good but my dark stout took more than 2 months to really mature. A barleywine might be good in 6 months to a year.

The temperature during fermentation also makes a difference as higher temperatures during the first 2 phases of the ferment will cause some off flavors that take more time to dissipate or be broken down. Here's a good read on what your yeast do.

http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

Then you also have to add in the contribution of the malt sugars and how you got them. Liquid extract, dry extract, or all grain do different things in the boil and that can cause differences in the flavors of the beer.

Back