First brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNurse

Reaction score
Hey all, moved my wort(?) over to the carboy today, is this normal?

image.jpg

It's just CO2 from the transfer to secondary. It should settle out soon. When racking, just try to be as gentle as possible so as to not get any splashing (oxidation). It should be a-okay! :)

And here is my first batch! Only got 42 bottles though...... That's a case less than I had expected. Not sure what happened.

image.jpg

Just need some fine tuning to get your volumes adjusted. Could be evaporation rate during the boil or how much you left behind when racking.
On your next batch tweek one thing and keep notes of the outcome. It's a good excuse to brew more.

In a few weeks, let us know how it turned out.

Volume is one of the hardest things to dial in. The more you brew the more you know your system, notes are the best way to make the changes you need to bottle a full 5 gallons.

Nice work! What was your original batch size? 10 bottles/gallon is a pretty good rough estimate in my experience.

That seems like a lot of yeast - how much priming sugar did you add? How did you add it? What did you use to calculate how much priming sugar to use?

Yeah, that's a little much, but I bet it's fine. Just be careful when pouring, maybe leave a little more than normal in the bottom of the bottle. The questions about priming sugar are good questions, but it's also possible that you just sucked up a little too much trub when racking. If so, just rack more carefully next time.

I used a pre packed kit. Maybe I didn't let it sit long enough? It's a hefenwizen and they told me it's a real yeasty beer. Instructions also said to pour slowly and make sure not to stir up sediment in bottom..... Just wasn't expecting this much. How would I know if it's a bad batch other than taste?

Well it's been what, 4 days since you bottled? Give it another week at least then toss one in the fridge for a couple of days. I'm sure the sediment layer will be compact. That amount of sediment does not mean that it's a "bad" beer at all. My guess is that you just sucked up a bit more off of the bottom of the fermenting vessel and into the bottling bucket than necessary.

Back