First AG LOTS of Trub normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimster

Reaction score
So I did my first AG this weekend and I use bottling buckets as primary and went to let a sample out last night and it was downright sludgy so I'm guessing AG has loads more trub/sediment/goop on the bottom as a DME/LME kit will have, correct?

Or did I perhaps do something wrong? Like when I squeezed out the grain bags real good to extract some liquid from them?

Normal. - and you let out a sample - after only a weekend. I am guessing from the bottling bucket's spigot? You basically checked it at its muddiest.

All grain has all the stuff in susension because you just finished making it. You won''t see that in an extract kit, it's proboably filtered as part of the mass production process. It takes a while for AG to settle, possibly nearer the end of initial active fermentation, and continues to settle for the next 2-3 weeks.

Your spigot might be to low when it come time for bottling. If it is you might want to be sure and use a racking cane.

Your spigot might be to low when it come time for bottling. If it is you might want to be sure and use a racking cane.

Looks that way :) Guess I'll be investing in a racking cane for AG bottling, and I'm betting this is when I'll also do a secondary after siphoning out from over the mud.

If you haven't already, check out a technique called whirlpooling. What that will allow you to do is leave a lot of that trub in the kettle instead of in your primary.

Latest posts

Back