The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation temp.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
jtrux
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermentation temp.

Brewing an Ale using US05. Is there any off taste created if fermented too cold or is the only trouble slow/stuck fermentation? I brew in the garage and days have been 51-65F and nights in the 30's. It is still bubbling away although very slow (1 bubble every 45sec). Been going for 14 days and kraeusen is still very thick without even beginning to fall. I realize due to temp it will be slow going, but will/could there be off flavors because of the cold temp. OG 1.069. Was a 6 gallon batch with 3lb DME, 6.6lb LME and 1lb cane sugar (plane table sugar).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

No,low temps generally produce cleaner flavors. The US-05's temp range is 59-75F,so I'd bring it in the basement or some place where the temp is more stable. The garage dropping into the 30's isn't a good thing.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1188

14 days? Is this a record?Holy lager. Let us know how it turns out when its finished.If you can bring it in at night to control the temps some that way it may help but being carefull when moving it.How many packs did you pitch?

Old 12-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
Ziggybrew
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Here is what Fermentis says: http://www.fermentis.com/fo/pdf/HB/E...e_US-05_HB.pdf

Old 12-11-2011, 10:25 PM   #5
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1188

Fermentis forgot to tell him what do do in a 14 day slow cold ferment.I looked and looked.No mention of off-taste dangers also.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:08 PM   #6
jtrux
Recipes 

Pitched 1 packet.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:40 PM   #7
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Temperature stability is as important as fermentation temperature. You don't want 20-30 degree temperature swings daily like that. If you don't have any FermWrap, you can use a 10-20 gallon trash can filled with water and use an aquarium heater to stabilize the temperature. You can buy FermWrap by the foot at - The Bean Farm and build your own temperature wraps.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 12-12-2011, 12:49 AM   #8
scoundrel
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ya if it get's into the 30's you risk the yeast dropping out. I have a triple that is fermenting still after 14 days. In my case, I pitched at 62 and slowly ramped it over 7 days to 72 degrees. I've added two sugar additions which has kept the yeast rockin.

helibrewer is spot on. Yeast don't like temp swings. The fermwrap is a good idea.

Starter??? I don't even know her!

Old 12-15-2011, 02:05 PM   #9
jrcomito
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

I have the opposite problem. I am going to brew for the first time in southwest Florida where the avg temp is 80F. I am looking for a few ideas on making a homemade ferm temp control apparatus. I like the garbage can idea, I have two of those available. I heard that I could use ice blocks in the bath, but that seems rather labor intensive. Any ideas? I do have power available and a limited knowledge of it.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcomito View Post
I have the opposite problem. I am going to brew for the first time in southwest Florida where the avg temp is 80F. I am looking for a few ideas on making a homemade ferm temp control apparatus. I like the garbage can idea, I have two of those available. I heard that I could use ice blocks in the bath, but that seems rather labor intensive. Any ideas? I do have power available and a limited knowledge of it.
There is the "Son of a Fermentation Chiller" that works well, for those in warmer climates. If you google that, you will see pictures and directions.

I have a little Yooper Lagerator that works for my climate- it's an igloo cooler with wheels. I took off the original (hollow) lid and made a foam lid. I use a water bath and swap out frozen water bottles as needed. It works for me, but my house never goes above 72 degrees, so I'm not sure how it would work in your climate. I can easily go to fermentation temperatures in the 50s with it, and in the winter in my 48 degree basement, I can lager at 34 degrees with it. Here's a photo of mine:

Quick Reply