Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Expresso stout suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2013, 06:32 AM   #21
ctmcgaha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Do not ever, ever, EVER cold press with espresso ground coffee. Fine grounds = varied and unpredictable extraction times. Use coarse grounds, in room temperature water, sitting at room temperature for 12-24 hours (depending on roast), and press/filter as soon as finished to separate coffee from grounds (grounds are bitter; **** that).

I haven't brewed yet (SOON), but I've worked with coffee for most of my "job life," and I can tell you--you want results, and you want a standard.

Also, have you considered using coffee that's NOT espresso roast? Espresso is a boring, half-assed roast, only made to seem less boring by horse **** roasts like French Roast. Maybe try and dark, dark Mexican Origin or Papua New Guinean Origin coffee--dark, strong roasts on those--spice and texture: not the bland, boring espresso taste that everyone fawns over (unnecessarily).

However, asshole coffee critiques aside, Cheers and good luck! Let us know how this turned out and how you racked. I may be trying something soon in the very near future

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2013, 03:54 AM   #22
Bfranklin007
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyWestBrewing View Post
In the coffee isle at any grocery store.
KeyWestBrewing, I do not see this at my local grocery store. Do you have another suggestion?

Old 11-04-2013, 04:24 AM   #23
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 447 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 527

Do you have anywhere near you that sells Cuban food or coffee?

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : French Oak Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout
Primary : Edicion Regionales Inglaterra
Primary : Oh My Darling Clementine Wheat
On Tap : Red, Wheat, and Blue, Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout 2.0, Cayo Hueso Cream Ale, Atocha Amber

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 11-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #24
MikeDAdams
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfranklin007 View Post
KeyWestBrewing, I do not see this at my local grocery store. Do you have another suggestion?
Yeah i find mine at Winco, a local employee owned store. but i also see walmart has it locally here.

I do a cold brew on it but just do it in a mason jar. At rack to secondary, i then filter it into the fermenter and then rack on top..
This is my process. YMMV

Old 11-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #25
Bfranklin007
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmcgaha View Post
Do not ever, ever, EVER cold press with espresso ground coffee. Fine grounds = varied and unpredictable extraction times. Use coarse grounds, in room temperature water, sitting at room temperature for 12-24 hours (depending on roast), and press/filter as soon as finished to separate coffee from grounds (grounds are bitter; **** that).

I haven't brewed yet (SOON), but I've worked with coffee for most of my "job life," and I can tell you--you want results, and you want a standard.

Also, have you considered using coffee that's NOT espresso roast? Espresso is a boring, half-assed roast, only made to seem less boring by horse **** roasts like French Roast. Maybe try and dark, dark Mexican Origin or Papua New Guinean Origin coffee--dark, strong roasts on those--spice and texture: not the bland, boring espresso taste that everyone fawns over (unnecessarily).

However, asshole coffee critiques aside, Cheers and good luck! Let us know how this turned out and how you racked. I may be trying something soon in the very near future
ctmcgaha, What would be your recommendation for a bold strong coffee flavor? This is a Pumpkin stout, so any kind of nut or spice flavor would probably work.

Again, Thanks to everyone who have responded to this thread. All the input has been extremely helpful. This brew is in process and I will let you know how it comes out. I am trying to plan my next brew. So if anyone has any input on a red ale that would be helpful. I would like to do it without a kit, so any recipes tips would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!!

Old 12-05-2013, 02:30 AM   #26
Bfranklin007
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks again for all the information. As far as the coffee flavor goes, it could not have been better. The only down fall is that I tried to add some pumpkin and spices for that flavor, but you can not taste it. But as far as an Expresso Milk Stout, it is great!!! I added 16oz of Starbucks expresso coffee (french grind) and one bottle of coffee extract. I just wanted to let everyone who helped me in this process how it went. Thanks again.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:12 AM   #27
Bfranklin007
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks again for all the input. The beer turned out OK. I missed the mark on the pumpkin spices. If I were only doing an expresso stout, it would have been dead on and great!!! I'm looking forward to starting the recipe over this week with a different recipe on the pumpkin and spices. Does anyone have any input on using coffee extract?

Old 12-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #28
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 447 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 527

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfranklin007 View Post
Thanks again for all the input. The beer turned out OK. I missed the mark on the pumpkin spices. If I were only doing an expresso stout, it would have been dead on and great!!! I'm looking forward to starting the recipe over this week with a different recipe on the pumpkin and spices. Does anyone have any input on using coffee extract?
Why use an extract when you can just cold brew a concentrate and use the real thing? You'd use it exactly the same way except it would be way fresher and you can use the coffee of your choice. Probably a whole lot cheaper too.

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : French Oak Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout
Primary : Edicion Regionales Inglaterra
Primary : Oh My Darling Clementine Wheat
On Tap : Red, Wheat, and Blue, Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout 2.0, Cayo Hueso Cream Ale, Atocha Amber

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 12-26-2013, 10:38 PM   #29
tacks
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Did you check the recipe forum? There must be at least a dozen recipes... if not, go over to the porter forum and find one there (I know that there are several there, one of which is mine) and add a half pound of black patent to your grain bill.

Quick Reply