Euthanized three gallons of beer. Having a pity party.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FifteenTen

Reaction score
My second batch was an extract porter brewed in March 2011. It had been bottle conditioning for 11 months. I don’t know if I over primed, it got an infection or what, but every bottle was a gusher. I tried burping each and every bottle, twice. I tried chilling it for 6 weeks, but every bottle was still a gusher, with giant raging foam bubbles. Plus, the flavor was off. I’ve only been brewing for a year and prior to that the only “good” beer I drank was AmberBock, so even after Stone, 21st Amendment, Bells, Oscar Blues etc., my palate is far from developed, but there was a distinct black licorice/medicinal flavor to it.

I finally came to the conclusion that it was not coming around and it was holding up too much of my “cellar” space. Sadly, I dumped it today. My only consolation is the fine home brewed pale ale I am drinking in remembrance.

So I ask, all those who stumble into this post, please raise a pint with me to the lost porter.

I will raise a few pints for you! 11 months is a long time to let something go, only to have it turn out bad. I probably would have started crying.

I am contemplating dumping a batch myself. A Scottish ale that turned out horrible. I just can't bring myself to do it. Sorry to here. 11 months is a lot of time to dump it.

Been there done that. Learned the hard way with an imperial pumpkin beer that tasted like I was licking cloves and chewing red hots. Also lost a Munich Helles rebrew. That pissed me off because of how long I tied up my fermenting freezer. I could have flipped 3-4 other beers in the time easy.

I feel for you, brewing brother. I have tossed two 5-gallon batches in the last year - a Dunkelweizen and an American Brown. Both completely undrinkable. The up side is learning valuable lessons from those mistakes. And have not thrown out another batch since.

All that being said, I raise one in honor of the lost porter.

I feel your pain!

I'm about to dump what remains of my very first batch, Garden Hose Hefe - aptly named because of the distinct green garden hose flavor imparted by my darned garden hose used for supplying my brewing water. I let it sit for five months hoping she would come around to no avail. It actually got worse!

Needless to say, the hose has been replaced with a white rv drinking water hose.

I have a chocolate stout in the fridge with the exact same problem. I feel your pain!

consider using a priming calculator instead of just the amount of corn sugar provided with kits, usually that is too much.

jholen said:
I feel your pain!

I'm about to dump what remains of my very first batch, Garden Hose Hefe - aptly named because of the distinct green garden hose flavor imparted by my darned garden hose used for supplying my brewing water. I let it sit for five months hoping she would come around to no avail. It actually got worse!

Needless to say, the hose has been replaced with a white rv drinking water hose.

I'm sorry but this made me laugh out loud. Garden Hose Hefe is hilarious. Who knows, maybe there's a market for this amongst gardeners. Sorry that you had to dump it though. I considered dumping a tripel last year but choked down the harsh, boozy brine simply because I'm too stingy to throw away cheap alcohol.

drawdy10 said:
consider using a priming calculator instead of just the amount of corn sugar provided with kits, usually that is too much.

It took me my first three brews to realize that the priming sugar provided is usually too much.

I think I'm going to dump my second batch. I've got nothing but gushers in my extract wheat beer. The taste is a combination of wine cooler and beer. I'm not a very big fan. I'll raise a glass of something drinkable for your batch.

I'm sorry but this made me laugh out loud. Garden Hose Hefe is hilarious. Who knows, maybe there's a market for this amongst gardeners. Sorry that you had to dump it though. I considered dumping a tripel last year but choked down the harsh, boozy brine simply because I'm too stingy to throw away cheap alcohol.
Haha!

No harm done. Wife coined the name - so it makes me smile everytime I think of it. The Garden Hose IPA actually wasn't too bad, drinkable compared to the Hefe.

Sad - but it could be worse. I dumped 5 straight 5 gallon batches before I found my problem - the bottling bucket where I store my sanitizer.

You have my deepest condolences...good thing getting a new beer makes the passing of the old one less depressing.

I'll raise a glass of my own nasty stout that, while not infected, tastes pretty horrible. I think I may dump the rest as I'm simply getting sick of drinking it.

I also feel your pain. My latest Wheat beer came out horrid?! Not sure where I screwed up, but not good enough to take up bottle space.

I raise a glass and hang my head:)

I'll raise a glass of my own nasty stout that, while not infected, tastes pretty horrible. I think I may dump the rest as I'm simply getting sick of drinking it.
I also feel your pain. My latest Wheat beer came out horrid?! Not sure where I screwed up, but not good enough to take up bottle space.

If it's drinkable at all, try cooking with it. There's a lot of stuff where you can replace water with beer and it becomes AMAZING, even with crap beer. Indian curries and bread come to mind.

I dump a keg of beer every couple of months just to make room for new stuff. After enough brewing it isn't a big deal. Not to me, anyway. A bitter and a berliner weisse hit the lawn last month. Bottles get emptied if I need them for something else too. The bigger beers (bottled) always get saved though because they age so nicely.

Never had to dump a batch - but I have a "big" SMaSH pale ale that is taking up space and not coming around.

I hoist my glass to you my friend...

Cheers!

Back