Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dry hopping in primary help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
Erich8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Dry hopping in primary help!

Alright so I have a batch that has been in my primary for about 9 days now. This coming Saturday will be two weeks. I have been reading that people dry hop into the primary vs racking to a secondary and cutting down the chance of getting a contaminated/oxygenated beer. I have a 6 gallon plastic carboy I could use as a secondary but I am worried about head space and my beer getting oxygenated.

So my question is, if I am going to dry hop in the primary should I go ahead and drop my hops in this Saturday at the two week mark then let it sit for another week then bottle? I have read many posts on the subject of leaving the beer in the primary on the yeast cake for extended periods of time without any problems.

With that said, maybe I should let the beer sit for 3 weeks then dry hop and bottle after a week? Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
Nagorg
If a frog had wings...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Yes, drop them in at ~2 weeks and let sit for another 7-10 days. You really just want to be sure that the active fermentation is over and it usually is after the first week. No worries for sitting on the trub for 3 weeks total.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I've dry hopped in primary many times.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
Erich8
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorg View Post
Yes, drop them in at ~2 weeks and let sit for another 7-10 days. You really just want to be sure that the active fermentation is over and it usually is after the first week. No worries for sitting on the trub for 3 weeks total.
Awesome, and thank you for the quick responses. My original plan was to ferment 2 weeks primary and 2 weeks secondary with the 4th week being the week that I dry hopped. Is it really necessary to let the beer ferment an additional week in the primary before dry hopping? So it would still be a month total.. Would that really do anything for my beer as far as taste, or will bottle conditioning take care of that?

And sorry for all the questions, this is a Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale clone that I am working on here and I want it to be good for Christmas.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
Dr. Francois
Dry Yeast FTW
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm a fan of dry hops in primary, mostly because I don't own a secondary fermenter, except kegs.

You might want to cold crash the primary before packaging to make all the hop debris drop out of suspension. I've had good luck with that procedure.

Dr. François

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
--Kurt Vonnegut

Old 11-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 721 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 227

It isn't necessary in most cases to let the beer have the 4 weeks but is seldom is detrimental. For this batch I'd suggest you start the dry hopping at the 2 week mark and let those hops have the week to impart aroma and then bottle.

It's a fools errand to say that all beer needs a particular amount of time in the fermenter. A lightly hopped wheat beer might be ready to bottle in a week while a barleywine might need 6 to 8 months. With that said, very few beers need secondary and many of them will benefit from more time in the fermenter as they mature quicker with the extra yeast that is collected in the bottom.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
Erich8
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Cool. Then I will dry hop this Saturday and bottle the following week, one again thank you for the quick responses. I have seen the topic of cold crashing brought up before. And I am actually going to be dry hopping with a muslin bag, so is it really necessary for me to cold crash at that point? And as far as sanitation goes I was just going to boil the bag, I don't have any Star-San but I do have Io Star. Will boiling be fine? Thanks.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1926 Times on 1694 Posts
Likes Given: 1428

Make sure the beer is at FG 1st. Then let it settle out clear or slightly misty before dry hopping. The hop oils coat the settling yeast cells & got to the bottom. But yeah,dipping the hop sack in boiling water for a few seconds will sanitize it,I've done that before. Then tie off the sack & drop it in for 1 week then bottle. The sack will keep things pretty clean.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #9
jakeperks
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm glad this thread came up. I dry hopped yesterday (1 week in) with half the dry hops and plan to repeat next week, both times using a sterilised bag. I'll bottle the week after that. I was originally going to dry hop 4 days before bottling, as per the recipe that Beersmith spat out, but I've read on here that some people dry hop in stages, which is why I thought I'd give it a try.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #10
Kremlock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree with RM-MN that beers are different so you can't have a set schedule for all your beers. Your recipe and yeast you use can also have a lot to do with it too.

I usually do leave the beer in primary for 3-4 weeks all depending on floculation. I never dry hop in primary so I always rack. But to each their own.

Quick Reply