Can Star San effect flavor when bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7mmSTW

Reaction score
I just bottled a batch of NB Tongue Splitter, this is the first batch of "real" beer I've done since using up the initial Mr. Beer kits I purchased. I don't have a bottling tree or sulfiter yet so to sanitize bottles I filled them with Sar San, let 'em sit while preparing everything else, emptied them, and commensed to fill them with beer. About halfway through the process I realized that as the foam settled there was a noticible amount of liquid in the bottles. After noticing this I emptied the liquid before bottling. My question is, while I know we don't fear the foam, how much should I respect it?? Could this be enough to cause off flavors? If it does will it just need time to get right? I bottled an Amber Ale MB kit this way a few weeks ago using this same method that tasted much like beer at bottling and is now pretty harsh, on that batch I didn't dump the foam after it turned to liquid on any of the bottles...in the mean time I'll just RDWAHASTBB (store bought...)

It definitely didn't seem over carbed...but could've been. I treid the one at about 2.5 weeks and decided to let them sit for another couple before I moved them to the fridge. The Tounge Splitter has definitely been the best flavor so far since I started this madness...funny how better ingredients=better product...:rolleyes:

Well I just bottled my first batch this Monday and I forgot to tip out the little accumulation of liquid Star San solution on at least half the bottles. I was wondering the same thing so in a few weeks I'll be keeping an eye out for bottles that might taste differently from each other. I'm no too worried that amount will do much though (hopefully!).

Are you meaning the residual Star San that is left after dumping? If so, I think most seem to leave it and it's an inconsequential amount.

I have my daughter submerge bottles, pull one out and dump it. I then fill and the rising beer pushes most of the foam out the top. We have a nice assembly line going. This seems to be similar to what most do. Shouldn't affect flavor.

I'm guessing a 1/2 inch of Star San in the bottom would start to affect it - probably water it down is all though.

Like others have said, I don't think StarSan is your issue. I one time siphoned my 5 gal batch into my bottling bucket that contained about a half gallon of StarSan. I just plain forgot to pour it out. I was all torn up. But everyone on this forum assured me it was ok. They were exactly right. It has been my best brew yet. Lol one person even replied back that he couldn't figure out how he came out with 12gal of beer from a 10gal batch (he hadn't dumped his starsan).

I would look elsewhere for the source of your harsh flavor. Perhaps you used a detergent that didnt rinse well?

The residual starsan that is in the bottles will break down and become yeast food. Nothing to worry about.

I think the bad tasting bottles were primed a little heavy. I used the "per bottle" method @ 3/4tsp of dextrose per 12 oz bottles. They never bombed on me but the beer hasn't really cleared since being put in with the sugar. The two batches I've done since I batch primed and they got cloudy right off the bat but have since cleared up nicely and seem to be coming along great. Could it be I put too much sugar in the other bottles that will take time, if ever, to be eaten up? Thus causing some form of off flavor? I drank one of the bad batch last week and another this week and it seems to be getting better. This last bottle gave me a hint of excessive sugar flavor so I'm guessing this could be the issue. Once again I think I'll let them sit and forget them for a while. I believe I'm convinced it wasn't anything to do with the Star San residual in bottles. Thanks!

Like others have said, I don't think StarSan is your issue. I one time siphoned my 5 gal batch into my bottling bucket that contained about a half gallon of StarSan. I just plain forgot to pour it out. I was all torn up. But everyone on this forum assured me it was ok. They were exactly right. It has been my best brew yet. Lol one person even replied back that he couldn't figure out how he came out with 12gal of beer from a 10gal batch (he hadn't dumped his starsan).

I would look elsewhere for the source of your harsh flavor. Perhaps you used a detergent that didnt rinse well?

I remember that thread. I think it was Revvy that pointed out that starsan actually acts as a yeast nutrient. I started using starsan but its just a little too foamy for me, for the most part I use 1 step

Back