Can I mix 2 different final beers??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I am planning to ferment out half of my batch with safale US-05 and the other half with the English S04, then mix them and bottle the beer.

But there is one thing that concerns me......I am wondering what will happen to the residual sugar in the bottle.
The S04 will finish at somewhere 1.014 or 1.013 (I am planning to mash it at higher temp and that will cause lower attenuation). I am guessing the US-05 will end up at 1.009 or 1.010.
Now.....do I need to take this into consideration when calculating the amount of priming sugar? Will some bottles even explode due to the residual sugar that the S04 couldnt ferment, but the US05 can while bottle-carbing? I kinda doubt....but since I cant calculate the pressure inside the bottles...I have decided to ask about this.

Has any of you ever done this? Mixing med and high attenuation beers into the same bottling bucket?

That's an interesting question. The title made me think, "Yeah, of course. Blending beers isn't uncommon." The different attenuation levels of the yeasts does pose an interesting question though. Do you have enough fermenter space to blend them in fermenters and wait a few days to allow the higher attenuating yeast finish up what the other one didn't? I'm not sure if that will totally disrupt what you were going for with the two yeasts or not. It seems to me that you'll still keep a lot of the character from both yeasts as the bulk of fermentation is already done, but someone may correct me if I'm wrong. Another option would be to bottle them separately, then blend them at the time of consumption, though that would mean opening two bottles at a time instead of one. It's also possible that you and I are both over-thinking this. Are they both coming from the same wort?

That's an interesting question. The title made me think, "Yeah, of course. Blending beers isn't uncommon." The different attenuation levels of the yeasts does pose an interesting question though. Do you have enough fermenter space to blend them in fermenters and wait a few days to allow the higher attenuating yeast finish up what the other one didn't? I'm not sure if that will totally disrupt what you were going for with the two yeasts or not. It seems to me that you'll still keep a lot of the character from both yeasts as the bulk of fermentation is already done, but someone may correct me if I'm wrong. Another option would be to bottle them separately, then blend them at the time of consumption, though that would mean opening two bottles at a time instead of one. It's also possible that you and I are both over-thinking this. Are they both coming from the same wort?

I think we are not overthinking this at all. This conversation only means that we are brewers who are not limited by textbooks, but wanna experiment. :)

Anyway.....yes, they come from the same wort originally. It is a pale ale (with 10% of crystal 45L). I would like to experiment with the residual sweetness with a medium attenuating beer....but I think it might be too cloggy. That's why I thought: an experiment within the experiment could be mixing the final beers(which come from 2 different yeast) and maybe that way it wont be too cloggy or syrupy.

I might just bottle a few and put them somewhere where they can even explode if they want to. :)

If they do in fact finish at significantly different gravities than yes, the higher attenuating yeast will much on the remaining sugars in the lower attenuated beer.

normal priming levels are around 1.003 (3 points) so if you've got 1.014 and 1.010 that's 2 points right there.

Back