Can FG be TOO low?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madrean

Reaction score
I just checked my second batch (looking mighty fine I might add..) and the SG is down to 1.01. Will that just mean more alcohol? The FG is supposed to be somthing like 1.014

I'm amazed at how beautiful it looks!! Amber colored, clear, nice flavor (couldn't resist a taste).

California Pale Ale I think.

Since the SG is so low, I guess I'll bottle it tomorrow. It's only been 10 days total time though.

Man, what an improvement over my first batch (don't want to jinx myself here)!

I bottled a batch of American Pale Ale two weeks ago. FG was 1.011. You should be fine; however, you may want to wait a little before bottling if you use a secondary fermenter. After my first two batches I got another carboy and I've noticed a significant increase in quality using a secondary... Although I changed several things around the same time... bigger boils, cooler fermentation temps. By the way I've been leaving by batches in the secondary for two weeks after a week or two in the primary.

madrean said:
I just checked my second batch (looking mighty fine I might add..) and the SG is down to 1.01. Will that just mean more alcohol? The FG is supposed to be somthing like 1.014
It depends on what the original gravity was. If it was on target, then 1.01 will mean more alcohol. If the OG was also low by a few points, the the ABV will be lower. It will still be fine though.

madrean said:

I'm amazed at how beautiful it looks!! Amber colored, clear, nice flavor (couldn't resist a taste).

California Pale Ale I think.
American Pale Ales are much drier than their European counterparts. BJCP lists the FG from 1.015 - 1.010. It will be just fine.

Wild

Back