Brooklyn Chocolate Maple Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hehawbrew

Reaction score
So- a few weeks ago I did the Brooklyn 1 gal IPA kit. Turned out great! So- I tried the Porter kit. Very slow fermentation compared to the IPA. The IPA was bubbling like crazy the first two days, but, this porter...... Not so much......

Do porters ferment less? Did it ferment really fast overnight?

Thanks

No bubbling doesn't mean fermentation isn't happening. It could be slow depending on the yeast you use.

I'm not what yeast. It is whatever came in kit.

Recipe called for 3/4 cup of Maple Syrup. I didn't have any, so I used King Syrup. I just looked at the syrup bottle and it has some potassium preservative in it. Could that slow the fermentation?

That could be it. Potassium sorbateinhibits yeast growth not kills it so what you pitched would be ferming and some cells might reproduce. I highly doubt there'd be enough in 3/4 cup of syrup to completely screw your ferm. Could just have lazy yeast

I wouldn't worry. You can easily get many stories from experience homebrewers about beer that didn't seem to be fermenting, but actually was. The only real way to tell if your beer is fermenting is to take gravity readings, but I would wait a bit to take one.

RDWHAHB, let the yeasties work their magic! :tank:

Man, being a new brewer is stressful!

I put an airlock on it last night to replace blowoff tube after 3 days. I know it's fermenting because the lil cap inside popped up to the top. Ill give her two weeks or so till I rack it. Just hoping for lazy yeast!

Thanks guys.

Here is what it looks like agrees week...... Airlock has pressure in it, but I've not reall seen the floating kraussen or however it's spelled!

image-1260403392.jpg

Wow- old post!

Beer turned out great!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back