Brew Pots.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norsican

Reaction score
Simple question. Seems there are a couple schools of thought here. Any one actually use their turkey fryer pot as a brew pot and visa versa?

Yes. I have various large pots, some up to over 15 gallons in size, that see all sorts of uses. They help brew beer, cook massive amounts of chili, do low country boils, steam lobsters, boil corn on the cob, fry turkeys, etc. It's just a pot.

I second what marubozo says. I use a Bayou Classic aluminum turkey fry pot. While I have never fried a turkey with it, I have been using a couple large stock pots (one SS and the Al one I just mentioned) for years to cook tons of different things in. Never once have I notice flavors carrying over. But like marubozo said, you need to clean up. I always make it a point to clean as I go and clean the pot as soon as whatever I am cooking is out of the pot. Saves time (because its never easy to clean caked on crap) and money (because I have been using one of my pots for about ten years).

JB

For what it's worth, I also have many large pots, but each have its purpose. I only use my fry pot for oil, my shrimp pot for shell fish and my brew pot for beer. Why risk it?

Yes. I have various large pots, some up to over 15 gallons in size, that see all sorts of uses. They help brew beer, cook massive amounts of chili, do low country boils, steam lobsters, boil corn on the cob, fry turkeys, etc. It's just a pot.

Same here... I went with stainless because it's easier to clean.

Never really had any issues cleaning aluminum, no more than stainless. Soak it in warm water to get caked/burnt things off, then wipe down with a soft sponge...

I use the Imusa 8 Gallon Aluminum steamer pot from Walmart..like 20 bucks, works perfectly and fits my Propane burner(SP10) nicely.

Those of you using 1 pot for all. Regarding cleaning...

If I want to sink a turkey, then next day, brew in the same pot, What kind of cleaning needs to take place?

What is your process?

Well, first of all I would say the most important thing is that if you just always keep it clean, that will be a lot less work for you. Clean it very well after each use, and you should never have to do any major scrubbing or use harsh chemicals.
After frying in it, obviously drain the oil right away after it is cool enough to safely handle. Then I would try to get as much out of it as you can with a spatula or something. Then if it is not baked on or anything just regular dish soap and hot water should take care of it, as that is very good at removing oil. Use a sponge or something and wipe everything down, rinse a few times, dry and see if it still feels sticky or oily.

Back