New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottle bomb time frame

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
KingJim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Bottle bomb time frame

I've just bottled my first batch. How long do you think until I'm in the clear regarding bottle bombs? Temp range 70-75dF
I'm going to have to explain this phenomenon to SWMBO. She's from Texas and yes, she keeps a gun next to the bed. I'm worried I'll wake up to her thinking a gun fight has broken out in the house.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
webby45wr

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Why do you think you'd have bottle bombs? I've never had one with 10 batches or so bottled. As long as you used the right amount of bottling sugar, let it mix in the bottling bucket well, and only bottled after reaching FG, you should be fine.

On Deck: Peanut Butter Stout; Leftover Pale Ale; Belgian Pale Ale
Primary: Porter;
Secondary:
Bottled: Winter Warmer; Dubbel; East India Porter; Tripel; Smoked Cranberry Stout;
Kegged: Latitude 48 IPA Clone; Bock

Old 04-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3849 Times on 2813 Posts
Likes Given: 640

I've never had a bottle bomb with beer or wine. I've made 300+ batches of beer, and more than that with wine.

I don't think that if you're going to have them, you're ever "in the clear". If you've got an infection in the bottle, for example, the bottle might explode tomorrow or next year.

But if you sanitize properly, bottle only finished beer, and use the correct amount of priming sugar, you won't have any bottle bombs. Ever.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
KingJim
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I'm sure I'm safe. I have no reason to think it's going to happen but I hear it's possible.
Currently, the booze is in a tiled utility room. I'm going to store the beer in a carpeted walk-in cupboard after a while. I just want to make sure I don't wreck said carpet, and my sex life.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
Doomsday
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Right............................................. ......NOW!!!!!!!!

Check the time stamp, did I call it?

Old 04-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
thatshowyougetants
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I had what i think would qualify as a bottle bomb (the neck of the bottle was found two feet from the rest of the bottle, though not much beer mess) in a batch of otherwise perfectly 100% consistently carbonated beers, I suspect due to a cracked bottle. So it's always possible.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Liked 790 Times on 538 Posts
Likes Given: 389

Bottle bombs do happen, but they are not very common. I don't know how many batches I've done, couple hundred I'm sure, never a bottle bomb. One time I did have a cap sizzling, heard a weird noise and realized air was escaping from one of the caps. Probably the cap would blow off before the glass explodes? Another reason for bottle bombs is that the integrity of the bottle was damaged, got dropped, or just old (cheap) bottles used over and over again. If your bottles are new-ish, haven't been clanging around in a recycling bin, banging against each other and such, no worries. And what Yooper and others have already said... get the process correct and it should never happen.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
sweetcell
Swollen Member

Recipes 

Liked 525 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 217

bottle bombs can happen at any time. i recently finished off a batch that i made 4 or 5 months ago, and a bottle blew down in my cellar just last week. could happen in a few days, or could happen in months.

why are you afraid of bottle bombs? did you over-prime? do you suspect you have an infection? bombs are a pretty rare occurrence, it's not something you should expect...

Drinking: a chocolate oatmeal stout, a belgian imperial stout, a Vertical Epic 09.09.09 clone
Fermenting: a split-batch belgian blond/saison
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured Saison, my "Wild Oats" brett/sour, and some other stuff i can't think of at the moment...
Up next: who knows. maybe providing links to recipes for the above beers.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Liked 790 Times on 538 Posts
Likes Given: 389

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatshowyougetants View Post
I suspect due to a cracked bottle.
+1, I suspect this is the more common reason for bottle bombs.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3445

Millions of folks bottle beer every year and we don't have bottle bombs......

What are we doing right, that you're afraid of doing wrong? Unless you're infected, over primed, or bottled early, there's no reason to expect or feel the need to guard against bottle bombs. An industry standard Beer bottle is meant to contain MORE than the 2-2.5 volumes of co2 that we tend to normally bottle at.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply