Apple off-flavor to Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomWaggle

Reaction score
So I brewed Hank's Hefeweizen extract kit about a month ago. The process went well but I feel like I may have left it fermenting too long. I used the dry yeast for it and did not get that real hefeweizen taste I was looking for and I found that it tasted better without the yeast. So now that I have been drinking it without the yeast in it I have tasted an apple taste. From what I read that is from letting it sit in the fermenting bucket too long. I was just wondering if somebody could confirm this

That cider/green apple sort of flavor is acetaldehyde. Initial ferment temps were likely too high. A little bit can age out, but too much won't in my experiences.

That cider/green apple sort of flavor is acetaldehyde. Initial ferment temps were likely too high. A little bit can age out, but too much won't in my experiences.
Could I have pitched the yeast at too high of a temperature? It did ferement around 68 from what I remember.

Yes, a high pitch temperature can cause acetaldehyde. My first beer I pitched at 100F because I had no way to chill it. It had a strong green apple flavor.

Mine is subtle so I guess it could have been I pitched at too high of a temp. Slowly but surely I'm getting the hang of brewing better beers. Thanks guys.

Back