The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > airlock bubbling noob question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2013, 04:06 AM   #1
bigskygreg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default airlock bubbling noob question

Okay, I know that we are supposed to ignore airlock bubbling and pay attention to SG. However, i have a scottish ale (extract recipe) OG= 1.66. I fermented at 65 degrees. I used a simple starter with Wyeast 1728 (scottish ale).

10 days = SG = 1.012, tastes great, , however, still bubbling at once per minute in airlock
13 days = SG = 1.012, tastes great, however, still bubbling at once per minute in airlock
Racked to secondary at day 13, continued to bubble at once per minute.
day 20 in secondary, SG os 1.012, still bubbling at once per minute

Temperature has been a steady 65-67 degrees since being racked.
So thats my story. I'm afraid to bottle if this bubbling continues. Any recommendations? It still tastes great. However, I don't want any bottle bombs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2013, 04:38 AM   #2
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Would love to explain the "once per min" phenomena, but I've yet to hear an answer I would agree with. With that said, bottle it! Don't fully ignore your airlock, just don't let it be your end all guide. You did the right thing taking multiple gravity readings and showing some patients (rare in the beginning).

[EDIT] BTW - Welcome to the site, and to the obsession (hobby?)!

Whiskey's too rough, champagne costs too much, vodka puts my mouth in gear
This little refrain should help me explain as a matter of fact I like beer - Tom T Hall

Old 07-17-2013, 04:40 AM   #3
zzARzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 5

1.012 FG is about right for a Scottish. Having sat that long and still at 1.012 means you're ready to bottle. Airlock activity is fun, but that's about all it is. If the beer tastes fine and you don't have anything alarming floating on the surface then it's not an infection releasing gasses. Most likely it's residual CO2 being released that's dissolved in the beer which is very common. You should be fine to bottle at this point.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:46 AM   #4
markmc40
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Agreed. Reading your post, you've been at 1.012 for 10 days. General consensus is 3 days straight and fermentation is over and you are safe to bottle.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:18 AM   #5
bigskygreg
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the feedback so quick. I'll probably let it go a week or two longer in the secondary. Hopefully the bubbling will slow just to ease my mind. I feel I may be addicted to the passion, I mean hobby!

Old 07-17-2013, 05:49 AM   #6
Demus
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 6

An extra week or two is great for a "biggish" beer like that. It's got nothing to do with your bubbles tho, that may continue for weeks. Your stable gravity is the only evidence you need to be sure fermentation is complete. The extra time aging will benefit the brew however...

Old 07-17-2013, 06:13 AM   #7
TexasBrew88
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

1. RDWHAH, 2. Airlocks lie. I forget who it was who said it, but I don't think "hydrometer" is spelled "airlock". Bottle it up, wait a few weeks, chill, and enjoy. Or bulk age for a bit (which is what I would do with a big malty brew), but the decision is yours as to how patient you want to be.

He was a wise man who invented beer.
-Plato

I drink and I brew. I would have conquered, but I drank and brewed first.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

It's just dissolved co2 off-gassing. As the temp of the beer cools down when FG is reached,dissolved co2 starts coming out of solution. You wait for that to stop,& the beer could go bad eventually. Or hop aroma & flavor will begin degrading after a few weeks. bottle it up.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #9
woozy
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Okay, I can't explain what is causing the airlock activity but at those gravities and that amount of time, we can be certain it *isn't* caused by fermentation.

I'd chalk up once per minute bubbling as random air fluctuations and dismiss it in the same way I dismiss random creaking floorboards in an old house.

Once it's determined that Bob's Net Works makes fishing equipment there's really no point discussing why nylon woven rope is not a good choice for the router and server needs of your online presence.

TexasBrew88 Likes This 
Old 07-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #10
TeamGotOil
Recipes 

What does RDWHAH mean? And, where can I find a list of common abbreviations?

Quick Reply