Beer It Forward

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a Monday drop and the forecast is above freezing for the whole trip. That said, beer should arrive at drinking temperatures... No waiting!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

BIF all packed up and ready to ship east...love sharing MN brews!
Hope to get it to the deserving member by thanksgiving!

It is a brew from an event at flat 12 where they gave you wort if you brewed on site. A pale ale that is way too sweet for me but loved by a few friends.... hopped similarly to the gumbalhead you also have there.

Glad you like the brews. Best part comes as soon as they are cold!

So I've finally got this beast all packaged up safely now that things have calmed down, and I have a stupid question being this is my first time shipping goodies.. Can I just write their address on the box, take it to FedEx, give them money and have them ship it... or are they going to weigh it, open it, interrogate me and throw me in prison where I'll never get to see beer again and end up sharing a cell with some guy that has hair growing out of his ears?

So I've finally got this beast all packaged up safely now that things have calmed down, and I have a stupid question being this is my first time shipping goodies.. Can I just write their address on the box, take it to FedEx, give them money and have them ship it... or are they going to weigh it, open it, interrogate me and throw me in prison where I'll never get to see beer again and end up sharing a cell with some guy that has hair growing out of his ears?

Do you plan on doing this again? Get a FedEx account (for free), print your label, then just drop it off no questions asked. And you get a discounted rate. Win-win

Haha one thing to remember is that shipping alcohol with UPS and Fedex is only against policy, its illegal with USPS though. I recommend creating a free online account with Fedex. You print your label at home, save money, and they dont ask you what it is when you drop it off. Win-win!

I knew there was something else, I am definitely going to do that. If I do get thrown in jail though, can I call HBT with my one phone call? Everyone else I know will likely be in bed already and I don't want to waste it.

Does anyone know if there is a treasure from New York-ish that is hard to find elsewhere that might be a nice surprise in a BiF? Not sure how far some of our beers go, or if there is anything ya guys have a tough time obtaining.

Does anyone know if there is a treasure from New York-ish that is hard to find elsewhere that might be a nice surprise in a BiF? Not sure how far some of our beers go, or if there is anything ya guys have a tough time obtaining.

I have enjoyed Capt Lawrence, their brews may be an option

Sent from the future using neurological impulses.

Haha I just noticed that. Maybe it stands for something?

It does...that's the name of a joint in Wisconsin Dells....only in sconny :)

On another note...BIF is en route to places east, clues to come soon.

I noticed it but did not want to be "that guy". Especially with the stereotype that goes along with where I live.

I'd second the Captain Lawrence - especially Frost Monster at this time of year. Also, Ithaca has some good brews that don't distribute all that far. Flower Power or anything from the Excelsior line.

I noticed it but did not want to be "that guy". Especially with the stereotype that goes along with where I live.

Whoa easy everybody....the first owner named it after himself in 1947. It doesn't mean anything other than that.

I'd second the Captain Lawrence - especially Frost Monster at this time of year. Also, Ithaca has some good brews that don't distribute all that far. Flower Power or anything from the Excelsior line.

Mmmm. Frost monster

The unfortunate truth is , that I have had that word thrown in my face my whole life. I despise the word and it's meaning.

I was raised differently than most of the kids I grew up with, that word was not used in my home. That word is still not used in my home til this day. I am just amazed that he was able to keep his establishment named such.

I actually haven't heard of frost monster. Will definitely look for it before I send this out this weekend. Flower Power is on tap every Friday for lunch time when we go on break though.

If you live in the town that hosted Thomas Jefferson in 1776 (at the sign of the horse inn) and is just north of a line that Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon surveyed from 1763-1767 then you may just get a package tomorrow :)

If you live in the town that hosted Thomas Jefferson in 1776 (at the sign of the horse inn) and is just north of a line that Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon surveyed from 1763-1767 then you may just get a package tomorrow :)

Well this could be me. Which would explain the mystery box sitting on my front porch. :rockin:

I'm presently about 90 mins South of the Mason-Dixon Line but I will have to cross it to get home.

Had to google Sign of the Horse Inn. I now know the name and address of my town's first tavern (now a parking lot--wth).

I'll update in a few hours if this box turns out to be what I think it is :D

Well this could be me. Which would explain the mystery box sitting on my front porch. :rockin:

I'm presently about 90 mins South of the Mason-Dixon Line but I will have to cross it to get home.

Had to google Sign of the Horse Inn. I now know the name and address of my town's first tavern (now a parking lot--wth).

My guess is you are onto something...... :D

Not much around here that is spectacular. Check out www.seekabrew.com and compare ny to the state you are sending to. You can definitely find good stuff that way.

Frost monster is excellent and they just distributed a new batch recently.

Thirded (thirded?).

Also look for CL Golden Delicious (apple brandy barrel aged tripel), which is out in 12oz 4-packs this year instead of bombers.

Yep, that be you! Just a small hello from MN. Enjoy! Thanks for being such a great member of HBT! :mug:

Awesome thanks guys. I just want my first gift to be worth a damn. Don't want to send something that they can just go across the street and buy. I've got a slot for one more bottle; going to fill it on way home and get it on its way. Thanks for the FedEx tip too, it is much less stressful this way.

One thing to keep in mind, once you have a FedEx account, whenever someone sends you a package where the name matches up you will get notified at the time it ships and after delivery. Which is why, if you are shipping a BIF via FedEx you might want to "mis-spell" the recipients name a little so it doesn't match up. Just in case they have a FedEx account too. TMYK :)

Is a BiF supposed to be a surprise? I hate surprises. Already ruined christmas for my wife by telling her what I got her, I just can't resist. Now I have to get her something else.

edit: Wow, according to that seekabrew site a lot of the breweries around here don't ship outside of NY. Maybe my gift isn't all that bad. Also found a brewery from CA with my last name, I might need to make some West Coast friends =))

Is a BiF supposed to be a surprise? I hate surprises. Already ruined christmas for my wife by telling her what I got her, I just can't resist. Now I have to get her something else.

edit: Wow, according to that seekabrew site a lot of the breweries around here don't ship outside of NY. Maybe my gift isn't all that bad. Also found a brewery from CA with my last name, I might need to make some West Coast friends =))

What Brewery In Cali?

Thanks @sompls !

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1417815444.736490.jpg
Solid box of Minnesota love for absolutely no reason whatsoever!

L to R: Bauhaus Wonderstuff Neo Bohemian Pilsner, Bent Paddle Black Ale, Surly Furious, Silvius Belgian style Pale Ale, Schell's Snowstorm Grand Cru, Surly Coffee Bender (aka crack), Indeed Daytripper, and Castle Danger Brewery APA. Also included some local news so I can keep up on Twin Cities culture and current events. :)

Mind blowing generosity. Thanks man.

Already drinking the Daytripper, and looking forward to getting into the rest.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1417816310.896970.jpg
I will pay it forward to an undisclosed porch at an undetermined future date!

Back