Why LME not DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
97% isn't "99-100%" as stated previously, is it? :D

Ugh... now I know why I went to a different forum. No.. 97% is 2 % less than 99%. You are right and I am wrong. Sorry, you know best and I am a fool who doesn't know anything. Thanks for pointing that out because I didn't realize how stupid I was being. Have a nice day.

I have always been of the school of thought that DME, in addition to storing better, grants the final product a lighter color. Plus, my LHBS has a crap selection of LME, I can never be sure how fresh it really is...

It's usually the opposite for me. I used a straw light LME.& the extra light DME made it amber. Even though I added both at the end to make sure it didn't darken.?...

It's usually the opposite for me. I used a straw light LME.& the extra light DME made it amber. Even though I added both at the end to make sure it didn't darken.?...

Well, adding MORE extract is not going to make it LIGHTER. What do you think woudl have happened if you added a comparable amount of LME instead?

I just jumped over to the muntons site and did a comparison of the SRM for various malts. Assuming that the ingredients are the same between the two and the processing is the only difference, I can say that they're almost exactly the same. In some cases the DME is 1-2 SRM darker and in some cases it's 1-2 SRM lighter. I would say that if you got a big difference between the 2 it was because the LME was way old and had darkened. For me, I don't care about 1-2 SRM difference so I'll just use whatever is cheapest and most convenient.

Well, adding MORE extract is not going to make it LIGHTER. What do you think woudl have happened if you added a comparable amount of LME instead?
I wanted more body,flavor/aroma,that sort of thing. That's why I combined the Cooper's OS lager can (straw gold beer is supposed result) with the Munton's plain extra light DME. But the lager can had Julian date of 32809 yeast (ale) in the lid. Maybe both were old.?
I just jumped over to the muntons site and did a comparison of the SRM for various malts. Assuming that the ingredients are the same between the two and the processing is the only difference, I can say that they're almost exactly the same. In some cases the DME is 1-2 SRM darker and in some cases it's 1-2 SRM lighter. I would say that if you got a big difference between the 2 it was because the LME was way old and had darkened. For me, I don't care about 1-2 SRM difference so I'll just use whatever is cheapest and most convenient.

Exactly my theory. I thought,at most,the English DME might be a lil more golden amber,but not this much. Just seemed odd that the DME was supposed to be "lighter" than the LME. But it's looking like a happy accident as of now. They've been in the bottle since last Sunday,& clearing nicely. But it has the same amber color as a Salvator Doppel Bock. Flavor was close,even though it was flat/green. So we;ll see how it comes out. Just have to watch the dates on the malts more closely. You guys could be right about that part. I'll know for sure next time I brew it.
But I'm thinking of doing a dark ale whiskely next.

Latest posts

Back