What kind of beer did I make???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbeerbeerbeerbeerbeer-

Reaction score
Hello all. Ive got a weird recipe that's currently fermenting away like crazy. I'd like for you to give your thoughts on it. This is a COMPLETELY EXPERIMENTAL batch made up of ingredients I had lying around, and wanted to brew a beer so please don't ask why I did this. Im still very much a newbie.

Steeped grains: 28 mins- Mostly Belgian pilsner malt, a little special b, a little caramunich malt, a little dehusked carafa III. All equaling about 24 oz in muslin bag.

Also 8oz chocolate malt in a separate muslin, didn't steep anything above 170* F.

3.3 lbs lme bavarian wheat

2lbs dme bavarian wheat

1 hour boil

45mins 3/4 oz german tradition pellets.

25mins 1oz hallertau whole hops

10 mins 1oz hallertau whole hops

5 mins half pound of Belgian candi sugar, liquified on the stove with a bit of spring water. Mixed, light and dark.

hydrometer was originally at 1.06. I originally used a wyeast 3068, hoping for a cousin to a dunkelweizen. Me being a noob, realized that the yeast I put in was expired as it said may 2012 and the package was slightly pre bloated now that i think about it. So in a last attempt to save this beer, almost 72 hours with no fermentation.... I re pitched a Belgian strong wyeast. Yea risky, but thats the best thing they had at this little crappy store. Didn't want to wait another 6 hours for the real hb supply store to open, as I would be at work. the wort still tasted fresh, no hint of mold or anything from what I can tell. Anyways it now smells delicious! It's been bubbling away every other second for almost 4 days now and I couldn't be more excited for my first unknown batch of beer. What kind of beer would this be technically? Think it will turn out good? It sure smells tasty, almost like food, which I've noticed some hefes do. Anyone think the belgian strong couldve waken up the weinstephan yeast and they are both going to town on it? I'd love to know an experienced brewer's opinion, other than me being under educated in the ways of home brew.

Dont know what you brewed it depends on which yeast flavors you get. Could be a Belgian Brown Ale.

It is smelling very fruity. Correct me if I'm wrong but i didn't think the wyeast 3068 should have that banana aroma, and thats what I smell in the airlock. I guess only time will tell. My least favorite yet biggest part of homebrewing, practicing patience....

Back