Sweet wheat. What to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robcj

Reaction score
A friend kindly bought me a wheat ale kit from Brewhouse--these are basically zero effort bags of slightly concentrated wort that you dump in a fermenter then pitch your yeast. OG was 1.050 and I used US-05. It only got done to 1.017. I don't know if that's normal for these kinds of kits but I like my wheat ales quite a bit drier than that. The 4.4% ABV doesn't bother me.

So it's pretty sweet and currently sitting in secondary and the FG isn't going anywhere. I racked off 1 gallon and put it on strawberries a week ago. I'll test that today. But I'm wondering what to do with the rest. Any ideas?

I don't want to keg it as-is. I think it's going to just taste too sweet. Should I throw it on top of more fruit? Brew another really dry wheat ale (all-grain) and mix them? Open to wild ideas to save this.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It might be done, if your gravity is stable. If there are fermentables left, you could try pitching a more attentive yeast (like champagne). It might dry it out some. You could mask the sweetness with a fruit addition lime you mentioned, but you are probably stuck with this beer as is.

Tested the gallon that I racked onto strawberries and it was at 1.015, maybe 1.014. I'm not typically a fruit beer guy but my wife liked the hydro sample and she typically hates uncarbonated samples. So I'm going to buy more strawberries and toss them in the other 5 gallons.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back