First taste at one week?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskeyfoot

Reaction score
So I am on week five of a Sierra Nevada clone, and bottled it up on the 4th of July. I just put a bottle in the fridge a few minutes ago, and plan to try it out tonight. I know it's a little early, not even a full week, but close!!.....how early do you guys and gals try your beer once it's bottled?

Usually 1 a week. Unless its a half batch, then none till 3, no need to waste the beer.

I've become pretty disciplined with my bottle carbed batches in the past year. I used to start impatiently cracking them about 5 days in. Now I wait a full 2 weeks before cracking the first one, just to make sure things aren't on the road to overcarbed. Then I wait a THIRD week at room temp, and into the fridge they go.

I figured as much. Well I think I'll let my impatience get the better of me and try a little tonight just to see where I'm at hahaha! I think when I was brewing before, I'd wait the two weeks, even three and four sometimes.

Same here, I usually would try one a week until they were properly carbed. Now I have been waiting 3 weeks mainly because I'm so busy with other stuff I forget about throwing one in the fridge by the time I am looking for one.

I don't like flat or green beer and think it's nothing but a waste to start sampling before it's carbed and conditioned, and since that's a minimum of 3 weeks, I don't touch them til at least that much time had passed.

I keg so it's a bit different and I can draw off a small sample but I think it is part of the learning process to sample frequently from grain bits, raw hops all the way to the final product. Once my keg has been carbed I will drink a glass of it every few days until it's ready for public consumption.

You will never know until you try! :) Give it a shot if you want to know how it is. You'll see that many folks wait for theirs and consider it offensive to try "early". It's yours. See how it goes!

You will never know until you try! :) Give it a shot if you want to know how it is. You'll see that many folks wait for theirs and consider it offensive to try "early". It's yours. See how it goes!

It's not "offensive," it's just a waste of beer.

I just never had gleaned anything substantive from that. Despite the rationalization that many new brewer say is for 'educational purposes' I find there's very little to be gleaned tasting a beer at 1 week, and again at 2....that to me just means there 2 less beers that are actually tasting good and are ready at the end. I don't buy budweiser because I don't like to taste "bad" beer. So why would I drink my own beer when it was "bad" especially since I know it's going to be delicious a few weeks later.

It's a great rationalization, and I hear it every time I make my assertion. But the thing to remember is that since every beer is different that 5 day old Ipa you may have decided to crack open is not going to taste anything like that 5 day old brown ale you opened early in your next batch. They're two different animals. There are so many tiny variations in things like ambient temp at fermentation and carbonation, pitch count phases of the moon, that even if you brewed your same batch again and cracked a bottle at the exact same early time on the previous batch, the beer, if you could remember how it tasted, more than likely wouldn't taste the same at that phase....Heck even in the same batch if you had grabbed a different bottle it may seem carbed or tasting differently at that point.

A tiny difference in temps between bottles in storage can affect the yeasties, speed them up or slow them down. Like if you store them in a closet against a warm wall, the beers closest to the heat source may be a tad warmer than those further way, so thy may carb/condition at slightly different rates. I usually store a batch in 2 seperate locations in my loft 1 case in my bedroom which is a little warmer, and the other in the closet in the lving room, which being in a larger space is a tad cooler, at least according to the thermostat next to that closet. It can be 5-10 degrees warmer in my bedroom. So I usually start with that case at three weeks. Giving the other half a little more time. Each one is it's own little microcosm, and although generally the should come up at the same time, it's not an automatic switch, and they all pop on. They are all going to come to tempo when their time is right...not a minute before, and then at some point they all will be done.

So you're not, to me learning anything special from it. But It's your beer, but there's not gonna be anything right or wrong at that point, except that you're out a beer that 2-3 weeks later you're gonna post something like"Sigh, they always say that last beer of the batch is the best, now if only I hadn't "sampled for educational purposes" all those weeks back I could be having another on of these delicious beers."

But hey, whatever floats your boat.

*shrug*

Hopefully no new brewers buy into your logic. Any good cook/chef tastes everything along the way. It's the same for brewers, just because you don't like flat beer doesn't mean somebody shouldn't learn from it. As to not liking green beer - you are the king of long primaries so your beer being bottled should be pretty well along it's journey to greatness by bottling time.

As for wasting a beer - don't worry, most of us will just brew more!

I find there's very little to be gleaned tasting a beer at 1 week, and again at 2....

I assume this means you've tried it though, right? Going with that assumption, you know that everyone's got to try it for themselves to validate and it's the only way to know what "green" tastes like. That's just human nature. So many things in life are subjective, you just gotta try it for yourself. As an example, I've followed your specific guidelines on most of my beer stuff and have been thankful for it. I did however recently try a freshly kegged IPA and it was awesome, so as you say, every beer is different.

I agree with all the stuff you said in the rest of that response. Although we didn't agree on this specific point, I wasn't taking a shot at you with the "offensive" comment just so we're on the same sheet of music. Dialog is good though. We debate not to win, but to find truth...

I always taste at 1 week, then again at 2 weeks and 3 weeks. Usually at 3 weeks they are good enough to throw a 6'er in the fridge and start working on them.

I have to know how they are coming along....

Oh come off it. ;)

We're all free to do whatever we want with our brew, but let's call a spade a spade. This isn't "self education" -- it's simple impatience. If one can't supply their pipeline sufficiently to keep enough properly carbed/aged beer on hand, the temptation to impatiently snatch up green/flat bottles of beer and drink them is there. Giving into that temptation comes off as a lack of self-discipline, or perhaps a lack of experience to appreciate the difference between a "green" beer and a "fresh" beer.

Again, the choice is always an individual one. I put enough time/expense into my brew to not impatiently waste them at 1-2 weeks in the keg or bottle -- that's what I choose to do.

So I am on week five of a Sierra Nevada clone, and bottled it up on the 4th of July. I just put a bottle in the fridge a few minutes ago, and plan to try it out tonight. I know it's a little early, not even a full week, but close!!.....how early do you guys and gals try your beer once it's bottled?

i have personally found that if you run a proper fermentation and pitch the appropriate amount of yeast beers be be enjoyed very quickly. Using WLP001 or Pacman I am drinking IPA's and Pale Ales grain to glass in 2-3 weeks in the keg. Lower gravity brews like a bitter I can go grain to glass in 7-10 days....

I found that the earlier I get to drink my IPA's the better they are....the precious hop aroma fades fast....

Let me just put this out there.

It's your beer, do what you think needs to be done in order to learn about, and enjoy your beer.

Also, let me stress that i've yet to have a refrigerated batch get the CO2 dissolved in less than a week. Glean whatever wisdom you feel necessary from my comments, but ultimately you should do whatever you think is necessary; there are no hard and fast rules about beer except that it should contain fermented sugars and some sort of bittering agent.

You guys arguing about the time issue are not helping matters. Revvy is pretty knowledgeable but it doesn't mean that someone else can't have a right (for someone) answer.

Oh come off it. ;)

We're all free to do whatever we want with our brew, but let's call a spade a spade. This isn't "self education" -- it's simple impatience. If one can't supply their pipeline sufficiently to keep enough properly carbed/aged beer on hand, the temptation to impatiently snatch up green/flat bottles of beer and drink them is there. Giving into that temptation comes off as a lack of self-discipline, or perhaps a lack of experience to appreciate the difference between a "green" beer and a "fresh" beer.

Again, the choice is always an individual one. I put enough time/expense into my brew to not impatiently waste them at 1-2 weeks in the keg or bottle -- that's what I choose to do.

Dude, i've seen you copy and paste this harshly critical comment before. Who exactly wronged you so terribly with impatience that someone else's impatience gets on your nerves so easily? I mean, for being a beer forum you shure are wound up tightly. Go sit in the corner and think about what you've done. And for Pete's sake, take a dang beer with you! :tank:

Hey all! No worries here, to each their own! I think it was a good idea for me to open one up this weekend and taste it. I guess a little background would have helped. I had been brewing here and there at my old house, when I had it out with a room mate and had to move into an apartment, about two years ago. I tried brewing two separate batches as soon as I moved in, and noticed I was getting some off flavors. After hitting the forum and talking to some people I narrowed it down to high fermentation temps, as my sanitization methods seemed to be fine. I was fermenting in my new apartment at 75+ degrees, so after a long hiatus I recently researched and built a fermentation chiller Link here for build and this was my first batch

So fast forward, I brewed my first batch, put it in my new chamber, and had no issues keeping the temps perfectly stable at 60 degrees. I popped a bottle this weekend, and man, what a difference!!! It tastes like beer!!!! Its even pretty carbonated too. My OG was 1.061, and FG was 1.011. The kit was the Sierra Madre Kit from Northern Brewer. Not quite a SN clone, or maybe my brewing technique needs some tweaking. Either way, I'm glad I popped a bottle to see where I was!!

I had a pale ale carbing recently (after a 2 week fermentation), and the only problem I found at one week was undercarbonation. Great beer otherwise. Aging has its place, but I think a lot of people age a lot longer than really necessary.

It's good to hear your new system solved your off flavor problem whiskeyfoot.

Dude, i've seen you copy and paste this harshly critical comment before. Who exactly wronged you so terribly with impatience that someone else's impatience gets on your nerves so easily? I mean, for being a beer forum you shure are wound up tightly. Go sit in the corner and think about what you've done. And for Pete's sake, take a dang beer with you! :tank:

I've never posted this before, so I have no idea what your copy/paste reference is about. I don't feel my post is harsh or critical either. What's harsh about winking smiley faces and a "to each their own" attitude? Drinking beer at one week in the bottle makes as much sense to me as drinking it one week in the fermentor. If I caught myself cracking open bottles that I knew weren't properly carbed/conditioned, I would attribute that decision to impatience, not scientific inquiry. I don't want to sit any corner -- but rest assured:

if I did, the beer I'd bring with me would be a patiently aged one. :)

drinking a cream ale ( OG was 1.054) that was primary'ed for 13 days and has been bottled for 5 days .. one of those days in the fridge .. I'm not drinking to test it tho ... it's the only beer I have .. lol ... oh .. the wife does have some leinny sunset wheats in the fridge tho .. yea .. this is the only beer i have .. lol .. anyway .. I know it will be better a couple weeks from now, but I don't really care about that ... I just want to have some kind of beer .. and yes, I too get curious about how mine are doing a week or so after I bottle and I usually will try one .. or two .. or a sixer .. haha (6 months of brewing here) ... drink/test your beer whenever you want .. cheers :)

Back