Difference between brewing a lager and an ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlaskaBushBrewer

Reaction score
just order a few more Cooper's canned hopped kits, one of them is a lager, what do i have to do different, and do I realy have to ferment below 55 degrees, my garage is at 65 degrees or so right know...will it still make good beer at those temps?

Take a look at the yeast they sent. Unless it's labelled as a lager yeast, just do everything the same. Most of time Cooper's uses an ale yeast for their lagers.

Only difference between lager and ale is the yeast. Lagers use lager yeast and ferment colder. Ales use ale yeast and ferment warmer. The ingredients don't matter.

If the Cooper's can is the Original Series Lager,it uses ale yeast. So it's actually a light pale ale brewed well at 64-69F. Maybe add some plain extra light DME to a 2.5G boil. Then add some Styrian Golding & Czech Saaz hops the last 25 minutes of the boil to give it a bit of the flavors associated with lagers.

Some good ales can be had from Cooper's cans with the right ingredients & a good process. Brewing the OS lager down to 64F should keep it cleaner as well. When combined with hops associated with lagers,the effect can be heightened.

Back