Carlson Liquid Fruit Extract success!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutty_gnome

Reaction score
To justify my homebrew purchases, I had to make a beer pleasing to SWMBO. She likes Leinenkugel's berry weiss so I thought I'd try something similar. I got the Brewer's Best Weizenbier kit and 4 ounces of LD Carlson's blackberrry extract. This extract isn't fruit-based; it is a clear, sugarless, aromatic liquid.

Using the search function on this site I found a a fair bit of information on using these types of extracts. I saw that most people put it in prior to bottling but also that people found the taste too harsh and 'chemically.'

On the advice of the LHBS I added the clear extract to the primary fermentation bucket with the cooled wort and yeast. Fermentation progressed wonderfully. After two weeks in primary the still beer had a wonderful blackberry aroma and a light blackberry flavor. The aroma was more intense than the flavor which to me is a good thing, it lets the beer come through. It does not taste like a chemical was added.

My wife has been enjoying the still samples and this weekend when we crack open a carbonated one I'm sure she will be tickled pink. I didn't add lactose so the Leinenkugel's is much sweeter than my brew, but mine has its own charms. So, if you are hesitant to use the extracts because you have heard they have too much of a chemical flavor, try adding it during primary so it has a week or two to mellow out. I'll be doing this again to keep SWMBO happy.

Her quote about the still samples: "Its kinda like blackberry iced tea and I like it!" :mug:

N_G

4 oz for a full 5 gal batch?

How intense is the smel and flavor? Curious if this will translate to Lemon in a Heff.

Cheers

I would say that the aroma of blackberry is clear but that the taste between berry and beer is well balanced. After a sip you know its a beer, but it has a distinct blackberry flavor. Its enjoyable. And the bottle instructions recommend 4 to 5 ounces per 5 gallons; I think thats about right.

Back