Brewing kegs for a fundraiser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UglyDude

Loud Mic
Reaction score
OK,
I have a few cinsiuderations I am pondering, maybe you guys (and gals) can help.

I am brewing for a fundraiser. I will be doing 4 extract kits so that I have 4 5-gallon kegs. the beer will not be sold, but given out free as part of the admission donation (which is voluntary and we will not refuse beer to anyone over 21 yrs of age, in case you were going to bring up legalities). we usually buy beer but since I got my gegging system it will be easy to serve up fresh draught beer.

First,
I am not sure if i should do 2 kegs of 2 kinds of beer or just do the same beer for 4 kegs.

Next, The beers need to be somewhat light and mass consumable. both from a general appeal and from a session style rather than a heavy style. I am thinking along the lines of a blonde ale or something. (I havent tried a lager yet and dont have the fridge space for laggering). The event will be in late May.

Finally, I am also thinking I would like to kick up the ABV just a little bit to drive the auction prices up. maybe about 6-6.5% (my usual blonde is 5.1%)

what do you all think?

cheers

I'd just rent one of those tapper trailers, filled with domestic kegs. Only because if anything goes wrong with your brews, it would really hurt the fundraiser.

If you're set on brewing yourself, I'd go a light blonde and keep a standard abv. Most people will drink that with few complaints. Although some people won't drink home brews because they think they can be dangerous. That probably is more for moonshiners than us, but once a bug gets in one persons ear...

You'd have far less of a headache with serving domestics though...

Thanks all.
of course the event will have insurance and the beer will not be the only choice for allcohol. this is not our first event, just the first time I will brew for it.
I will heed your advice and stick to the tried and true blonde ale, the same way I always brew it.

Blonde and maybe a steam beer? Steams are tasty and imo offer mass appeal.

Sent from my LG-P870 using Home Brew mobile app

If someone has a few too many of your free beers, then wrecks their car on the way home and kills themselves, who does the family sue?

Back