Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Brewing with fruit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2008, 04:26 AM   #1
pjk49202@yahoo.com
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Brewing with fruit

Co worker of mine brought in a bunch of peaches from her home. They are not ripe yet but was thinking that peach would be a good additive to a say a golden strong ale. Wondering if anyone has experience with brewing with actual fruit? What is the ratio of fruit to wort? Thanks in advance. Hopefully there are still a few peaches left tomorrow for me to take!!

primary: none
secondary: belgian golden strong ale
bottled: wheat
on deck: triple

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2008, 03:11 PM   #2
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

<search>

Old 10-02-2008, 02:17 AM   #3
Fat Guy Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Check some of the recipes in the recipe section. I have used fresh raspberries and there are a few recipes for that. It seems most use 3-4 pounds. You could try 2 techniques: one, peel peaches and cut into small pieces, pasteurize, then pour into secondary on top of the beer; two, peel peaches and put in a blender to make your own puree, then pour into secondary. Either way, put them in the secondary because I believe the yeast activity in the primary eats up the flavor. I had a peach ale once a long time ago and really liked it. Can't wait to do my own.

CF
Owner, Brewer, Taster

Brewing: IPA
Fermenting: Oktoberfast
Aging:
Drinking: Fat Guy Porter, Fat Guy Tire, AJ's Raspberry, SWMBO Slayer
Up Next: Xmas Ale

Old 10-02-2008, 12:41 PM   #4
MgMt_Home_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did an apricot blackberry wheat this summer and I used about 6 pounds of fruits in total. It came out pretty tart but it had some good flavor. However I think if I used another fruit that was a little sweeter or more ripe it would have been better. I think next time I will just buy some puree because I didn't save much money buying the fruit and doing it myself.

I pealed the appricots, took the pits out, and smashed up the blackberries but did not pasturize them which I now know was a big no no and I got lucky. However I placed them in a grain bag in my seconday but I can't remeber how long I left the fruit in and I lost my freakin note book with all my notes in it!!!!!!

But I think it was like a week or so. But like I said I don't remeber.... I might have made a post somewhere on the thread.

Im so ****ing pissed I lost that note book....

Old 10-02-2008, 01:07 PM   #5
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ray Daniels has a whole chapter to it in "Designing Great Beers." JZ from TBN & James from BasicBrewing are good podcasts to listen to. What I would do is freeze the peaches when they are ripe, thaw, chunk them up and add to secondary. Then rack your beer on top of it.

Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 10-03-2008, 08:18 AM   #6
MauiMaltMan
Recipes 

As an avid fruit brewer, I like the freezing -> Secondary method. Pureeing is good too. I think the main point is to break down the cells (and resulting flavor) of the fruit. Freezing and blending do both well. Freezing is a little better because it'll (semi) sterilize the fruit. Fresh fruit looses a lot of it's natural flavor when cooked...just compare canned peaches to fresh!

I believe that the more fruit the merrier. Just back of a touch on your hoppiness, because that can definitely overpower the fruit. I've never tasted a brew where grains overpowered the fruit, the culprit was usually the hops.

Good Luck!

Old 10-03-2008, 08:29 PM   #7
gmay10
Recipes 

I made an incredible sour cherry beer. I used 8 lbs of fruit and put them in at secondary. I would definitely put them in at secondary again and take my chances. After 2 weeks in secondary with the fruit in- I put it into tertiary and let it sit there for about 1 month. It has turned out clear and the sourness has decreases with time- what a freakin beer it has been!

Quick Reply