Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > A word about being organized

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
Lodovico
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default A word about being organized

Since making the switch to All Grain brewing last year, I find that I have a lot more brewing "stuff" everywhere and it was starting to take over my basement and be really cluttered. I'm not the tidiest guy in the world to begin with (my wife would call this a massive understatement)

But after several batches of running around the basement like a maniac looking for irish moss at the last minute or digging through unorganized bags of hops in the freezer, tripping over equipment, I decided enough was enough.

I went and bought a really nice organizing cabinet, tupperware containers and I labeled all of my equipment drawers, grains, and everything has a place.

It has made SUCH a difference in how much I want to brew and how less stressful brew day is. I know EXACTLY where everything is and it is awesome.

I'm sure most of you are really organized but for those that aren't, I highly recommend it. I didn't think I could like this hobby anymore than I do but I love it even more now!!

On Draft: Mild
On Draft: IPA
On Draft: Belgian Pale Ale
In Bottle: Brett Porter
In Bottle: Flanders Red
In Bottle: Oud Bruin
Fermentor: Biere De Garde
Fermentor: Belgian Amber Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 648

I'm a very unorganized person myself....but my brewing stuff... I'm anal about where everything is and labeled. After all, so much time (the money for ingredients don't bother me....but my time.....that's valuable to me) invested in brewing, racking, conditioning, cleaning, kegging/bottling.....I don't want a batch screwed up because I used the wrong hops or missed my temps because something is mislabeled or misplaced.....Drives the SWMBO crazy because like I said...my garage is a mess...but the corner that I brew in....spotless and everything in it's place....lol...

Old 11-03-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Just last night I found an old glass blowoff tube from like 12 years ago...still had hop/trub schmegma in it. PBW made it like new. Maybe there is something to this 'organization' thing.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 11-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
JVD_X
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Me too. I found that the key to my organization was to write my daily process down, step-by-step, regardless of how mundane a step is (e.g. "Pull brewstand out of garage.")

It may seem stupid but applying the principle of preparation before hand has reduced my all grain day from 7 hours down to 5 - in some extreme cases 4 - including set up and breakdown.

- JVD_X

Old 11-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #5
corvax13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Im pretty unorganized myself, however, on brewday I wipe down the entire kitchen, and lay out any and all ingredients/tools/gadgets that I know I will use at some point. Makes for a very efficient brewday, as soon as I use something I clean it thoroughly and put it away - makes for a very short clean up afterward.

Furry Friend Brewery

Old 11-03-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I can be pretty disorganized. I agree since going to all grain there are lots of parts and pieces, and testing instruments, and hoses, and adapters etc. I got a few containers to put like things together but I do not have the benefit of a garage or basement where I live, so it all goes into a closet. The problem is I can pack it all in there fairly neat, but then on brew day I have to dig everything out including the stuff I don't need on that day. That is just the nature of a closet I suppose. So the end result is half the stuff stays out of the closet in my dining room.

I keep telling the G/F I need a place with a big ole garage or outside structure so I can organize everything. I'm not convinced she believes it will be any more organized though, and frankly I'm not certain it would be either.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 11-03-2009, 02:32 PM   #7
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 541 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I'm a messy sumbitch. I don't think i can ever change that.

My car is parked on a half full garbage bag in the garage as I type this.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:19 PM   #8
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 648

Sure the neighbor's cat isn't in the bag?.....

Old 11-03-2009, 05:27 PM   #9
bentonre
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
Sure the neighbor's cat isn't in the bag?.....
If it is... it's probably garbage now!

Old 11-03-2009, 06:08 PM   #10
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2343 Times on 1665 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

I am that way. Forcing myself to be organized on brewday is the biggest improvement I can make in my brewing. I want to build a shelf to store all of my stuff, but I also am making plans for a brewcart which would hold my stuff and be sort of portable. When in use, it separates into everything I need to brew on, stand, burner, etc. But when finished, I can put it all back together and store all of my necessaries in it. I'll probably still have need for a cabinet of some sort for some stuff, but most everything should be able to be put right back into the brew rig and pushed up against the wall and out of the way.

Homer's Brew Log

Quick Reply