What would you do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I do?

• Get two PM kits and wait on the pot

• Get one PM kit and the pot

• Shecky brews? I thought he was only here to annoy us.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Well after 6 months of non use, wifey can always use it as a planter.

sshowea.jpg

Why would I need another burner? Planning on batch sparging, so I can just heat the sparge water on the burner I have. I know it will be a bit of juggling and I won't be able to get the first runnings going, but I can still manage.

This exactly what I do, and it is a perfectly workable solution. If you want to do any sort of adjustment to that system, you could use a second 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler as an HLT, heating 10 gallons of water and draining into the MLT as you need it.

Shecky you look like a nice guy, how about you get your pot and PM kit, and the non kettle believers can donate a buck to your 2nd PM kit. Hell I'll even pitch in, if it means you do the right thing!:tank:

17:1 And on the 8th day, God relaxed, had a homebrew, and bought himself a pot.

17:2 The lord looked down on the potless below and was sad. Without pots the brew would be undone. Men would walk without shadows. Sheep would wander without shepherds. Bottoms would go unwiped.

17:3 In his benevolence, the lord bestowed unto every man the opportunity to own his own pot, lest he be without and cry wails of potlessness. Every man that wished dearly for a pot could reach out to the lord and take his pot if he forsook the extra kit brew.

17:4 Only one poor soul was left in the wilderness. Shecky, begat by Sheckhole refused the Lord's gift of the pot and was exiled to 40 days and 40 nights in the desert, or until April (Whichever came first)

17:5 Shecky wept

17:6 On seeing the tears of Shecky, the Lord took pity. The Lord smited Shecky with a bolt of lightning so that he shalt live no more to regret his mistake.

17:1 And on the 8th day, God relaxed, had a homebrew, and bought himself a pot.

17:2 The lord looked down on the potless below and was sad. Without pots the brew would be undone. Men would walk without shadows. Sheep would wander without shepherds. Bottoms would go unwiped.

17:3 In his benevolence, the lord bestowed unto every man the opportunity to own his own pot, lest he be without and cry wails of potlessness. Every man that wished dearly for a pot could reach out to the lord and take his pot if he forsook the extra kit brew.

17:4 Only one poor soul was left in the wilderness. Shecky, begat by Sheckhole refused the Lord's gift of the pot and was exiled to 40 days and 40 nights in the desert, or until April (Whichever came first)

17:5 Shecky wept

17:6 On seeing the tears of Shecky, the Lord took pity. The Lord smited Shecky with a bolt of lightning so that he shalt live no more to regret his mistake.
Thanks. I needed a good laugh for the hour drive I'm about to undertake.:D

Origanally posted by Flyangler18
If you just have to step into AG earlier, there's no reason why you can't do a scaled down 2.5 or 3 gallon batch; I've been experimenting with doing small-scale AG myself, just as Revvy does.

I'm trying to go AG and the 3gal batch seems the quickest route =)

Wait on the pot and get one you WANT.. or you can buy your econopot and upgrade (again) later and waste even more money! Which helps the economy but still won't put beer in your belly!
What good is a pot if you can't brew in it for lack of ingredients?
Oh yes, right, something to fill all that excess storage space you would be putting your FILLED bottles of beer in!

Tell you what, you buy the pot and keep the ingredients in stock for us to buy! :D

Better yet, buy two kits AND another primary fermenter.. you only have 3 or 4 empty at the moment and they must be LONELY! :p All that $$$ wasted on empty primarys... You are making the Brewgods very angry. Hopefully kharma won't infect all your beer! (knocks on wood for you since you seem unmoved by logic).
YMMV!
Enjoy!
:D

Why would I need another burner? Planning on batch sparging, so I can just heat the sparge water on the burner I have. I know it will be a bit of juggling and I won't be able to get the first runnings going, but I can still manage.

I heat the MLT pre-heat water to a boil while I warm up mash tun strike water. Then I have the MLT draining into a heating keggle while I heat the sparge water or try to keep it warm. Its easier just to have two going at once.

I also use a 5 gal cooler to recycle the pre-heat water.

BTW - Shecky my turkey fryer wasn't big enough to hold a keggle. If anything that is the primary reason why I have separate burners.

Its not absolutely necessary but it adds a level of convenience that I really like to have with brewing. I once used a wire grate to support the keggle, but I had visions of the weld breaking and spilling 5-10 gal of boiling wort. Putting a ball valve on my HLT is next along with adding pump. You'll hate having to carry 40-60 lbs of hot liquid. Be that in a pot or a cooler.

Start doing AG and you'll know what I mean.

I made a PM Helles today on the stove top. I boiled my strike water and sparge water in seperate pots. I generally premeasure the water, then heat it to temp. I always do infusion mashing (Single or Stepped) in a cooler. Never direct heat. I use a 2 gallon mash tun and I alway mash 4 lbs and make up the difference with LME/DME.

I also do infusion mashing with a cooler MLT when I do AG. The only difference with PM and AG is I never need to comp with extract on the AG.

Time to stop typing... need to drink my beer. :drunk:

BTW - Shecky my turkey fryer wasn't big enough to hold a keggle. If anything that is the primary reason why I have separate burners.

Its not absolutely necessary but it adds a level of convenience that I really like to have with brewing. I once used a wire grate to support the keggle, but I had visions of the weld breaking and spilling 5-10 gal of boiling wort. Putting a ball valve on my HLT is next along with adding pump. You'll hate having to carry 40-60 lbs of hot liquid. Be that in a pot or a cooler.

Start doing AG and you'll know what I mean.

I made a PM Helles today on the stove top. I boiled my strike water and sparge water in seperate pots. I generally premeasure the water, then heat it to temp. I always do infusion mashing (Single or Stepped) in a cooler. Never direct heat. I use a 2 gallon mash tun and I alway mash 4 lbs and make up the difference with LME/DME.

I also do infusion mashing with a cooler MLT when I do AG. The only difference with PM and AG is I never need to comp with extract on the AG.

Time to stop typing... need to drink my beer. :drunk:

Sounds like my move to AG will result in a similar system, though I'll keep the single burner for now. That's part of the reason I am willing to spend the money and go with a pot rather than a keggle.

I do my PMs the same way, only with a 5 gallon MLT.

I'm leaning toward getting the two kits, if only because you and I agree that wearing a baseball cap backward is stupid and disrespectful.:D

If your going to be so busy in March, how will you have time to drink 10 gallons of beer? Buy the damn pot.

Back