What would you do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I do?

• Get two PM kits and wait on the pot

• Get one PM kit and the pot

• Shecky brews? I thought he was only here to annoy us.

Results are only viewable after voting.

shecky

Just an old guy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, so I have time next week to brew twice. That had been the plan. However, the AHS 50-state sale intrigues me and tomorrow is Connecticut day. I need help (as if that wasn't obvious).

My original plan was to get two PM kits to brew next week. But my move to AG is missing only a bigger brewpot. Should I get the two kits and wait on the pot, as the earliest I'll be able to dive into AG is April, or should I get one kit and the pot?

Getting two kits and a pot is not an option as I'm trying to limit expenses.

Holy crap, 2 beer-related posts from you in like a week! ;)

I would definitely go for the pot. What size are you thinking of getting? Mine is 9 gallons, and I now wish I had a bigger one (but only because of barleywines or making 10+ gallons).

Well, all I can say as a fellow nutmeg stater is that I have a pretty big order going in tomorrow :mug:

OK, so I have time next week to brew twice. That had been the plan. However, the AHS 50-state sale intrigues me and tomorrow is Connecticut day. I need help (as if that wasn't obvious).

My original plan was to get two PM kits to brew next week. But my move to AG is missing only a bigger brewpot. Should I get the two kits and wait on the pot, as the earliest I'll be able to dive into AG is April, or should I get one kit and the pot?

Getting two kits and a pot is not an option as I'm trying to limit expenses.

And I agree with Parker, get the AG kit. Might as well go for it, if you're getting the pot in the same order (plus, you'll actually save some $$$).

Edit: Ah..thought the wait until April was only if you didn't get the pot now.

Get the pot and an AG kit
Ah, but reread. Can't do any AG until April. This time of year for me, time is really short.

Holy crap, 2 beer-related posts from you in like a week! ;)

I would definitely go for the pot. What size are you thinking of getting? Mine is 9 gallons, and I now wish I had a bigger one (but only because of barleywines or making 10+ gallons).
Ha ha. I'm looking at 10 gallon minimum, probably go utilitarian (as in cheap, but useful. I don't mind going all ghetto on my setup for now).

If all that's holding you back from AG is a pot, then the answer is clearer than a Munich Helles!

10 gallons is a good size if you intend on sticking with 5 gallon batches, as I suspect you are, but can still be pressed into service as an HLT should you choose to upgrade to a larger kettle later. Of course, if you have any proclivity to brew a barleywine or double batch that will involve a LARGE initial volume going into the kettle, a 15 gallon kettle is a better proposition.

If you just have to step into AG earlier, there's no reason why you can't do a scaled down 2.5 or 3 gallon batch; I've been experimenting with doing small-scale AG myself, just as Revvy does.

Jason

If getting the pot means you can only brew once next week, I would get two kits...I know how hard it is for you to squeeze in any brew time, with work, family comitments and green....

Personally I would much rather have 2 batches of beer brewed if time was limited, than 1 batch and a shiny new pot I don't know when I would actually have the time or money to use anytime soon. What happens, knowing your life and your schedule, if the next time you get to brew again is April anyway?

If getting the pot means you can only brew once next week, I would get two kits...I know how hard it is for you to squeeze in any brew time, with work, family comitments and green....

Personally I would much rather have 2 batches of beer brewed if time was limited, than 1 batch and a shiny new pot I don't know when I would actually have the time or money to use again.

There you go, being all sensible and thoughtful. Jeez.

I guess that does put it in perspective a bit. If you ABSOLUTELY won't brew AG until April (and you will buy the pot then), then I guess PM kits make more sense for now.

Spoilsport. :p

Personally I would much rather have 2 batches of beer brewed if time was limited, than 1 batch and a shiny new pot I don't know when I would actually have the time or money to use again.

Obviously you've never fallen in love with a shiny new pot.;)

Me too. Does it really take you that much longer for an AG than a PM if you do a medium gravity beer?
Not for experienced AGers, I would guess. But this would be my maiden voyage. I have done all the reading, studying, planning, etc., etc. But I will still be reading, studying, planning, etc., on the maiden voyage as I'm crazy with wanting to do anything correctly. If you're going to do it, don't half-ass it.

So, time will be added for me. And as for the reason I can't do it until April, I won't have a day off until then, maybe sooner.

I like Revvy's idea, but like wildwest, I'm also falling in love with the idea of a shiny new pot, even if I can only gaze at it for a while. Decisions, decisions.:D

Well you could still use your pot to do a full boil with your PM. No reason not to use it. Good luck.

I like Revvy's idea, but like wildwest, I'm also falling in love with the idea of a shiny new pot, even if I can only gaze at it for a while. Decisions, decisions.:D

If you get the pot, you forfeit the right to whine or b*tch about how little time you actually get to brew....:D

I'd much rather have 4 cases of beer then a shiny kettle tarnishing or gathering dust from lack of attention.

I'd make two batches. Time is tight for you, you said. AG will take all day. There will be other sales, other offers, used pots and all that to consider.
A broken pipeline, to me, defeats the entire purpose and justification of all of your costs so far. They say variety is the spice of life. Keep that variety while doing your two batches and ENJOY! :)

Note: 10% discount on $300 is $30, and on an economy pot (10 gallons) is only $7!

shecky said:
Primary:
Primary 2:
Secondary 1:
Secondary 2:
Drinking: Anchor Our Special Ale clone (1995 version)
Bottled: SNPA clone
Yeah, from the looks of this sig, I'd buy the two kits . . .

Horse's mouth or something...:D

While I appreciate the sentiment (most of it, anyway), it's more a money issue than anything right now. Kids + Christmas + paying for everything in cash = no moolah for brewah.

DUH. :D
Quit yer bitchin'. At least you can brew. I haven't brewed since Columbus Day. Yes, almost three months ago. I believe I may have forgotten how to do it.

When I finally get a chance, I may be here asking stupid questions for Revvy to answer.

What exactly does yeast do, anyway?:confused:

It's only been 95 days since I last brewed, not that I'm counting.

A 95 day gap kiddo, a 3 month and 5 days break in the ole pipleine, is not unheard of in the Shecky Household.....

I still say two batches, b@tches!!!!! :mug:

Shecky- buy the pot NOW! By April, that expense will be forgotten and you can buy some other equipment with what would have bought the pot... like a pump, or a better mill, or a better chiller, or something stainless.

Kit and pot. You have no real pipeline yet to worry about anyway. I REALLY wanted to vote the third option because that is what you woulda done to me, but Kit and pot.

Now that you are finally manning up, can I touch your testicles please? :)

Now that you are finally manning up, can I touch your testicles please? :)
Again?:D

You all make good arguments. Still torn. Thanks for the help. I've got a batch conditioning now and it sure would be good to have two in the hopper next week.

That pot is calling, though.

EDIT: Revvy, thanks for using my words against me.:D

Again?:D

You all make good arguments. Still torn. Thanks for the help. I've got a batch conditioning now and it sure would be good to have two in the hopper next week.

That pot is calling, though.

EDIT: Revvy, thanks for using my words against me.:D

Stop waffling and buy the pot dammit!!!

Honestly Sheckster, you have turkey fryer pot...get some fermcap and use that, brew 2 batches and get the pot later...betja you'll find one even cheaper if you look around.

Not that I care...but it will be your friends that have to put up with yer whinning and all....

I can just hear it now...."Man, I have this big shiny pot and it's sitting there gathering dust...'casue I just don't have the time or money...and I'm down to the last sixer of that one batch of beer I bought with that mofo...Sure is shiny....but now I'll be drinking Bud American Ale til I get to use it again."

To which I will reply...I bet that kettle of yours will reverberate nicely while I'm playing this. :D

worlds-smallest-violin.jpg

I say... TWO KITS, TWO KITS!!! That way, when your depressed in a month and a half about not getting the pot, you will have all 4 cases of beer to fall back on.:rockin:

I don't know what I'd do if I thought I wasn't brewing until April.

I'd get the two kits though. I like drinking beer more than drinking SS. I used a 7.5 gallon pot to do all my brewing for a year and a half without problems. I will say that stepping up to a 15 gallon kettle is awesome though, 10 gallon brews and the ability to test the same beer with different yeast rocks.

Just think if you buy the pot, you're gonna need another burner!
  1. For the HLT
  2. For the Brew Pot
Do you have another burner?

Buy the two PM kits.

you must go with the poll results! How can so many be so wrong?

There is certainly precedent.

Those who voted against the pot are in an evil conspiracy against you. Don't listen to them....

Can two gnomes be wrong???

Don't answer that.
I don't know, but two gnomes certainly don't make a right.:D

Just think if you buy the pot, you're gonna need another burner!
  1. For the HLT
  2. For the Brew Pot
Do you have another burner?

Buy the two PM kits.
Why would I need another burner? Planning on batch sparging, so I can just heat the sparge water on the burner I have. I know it will be a bit of juggling and I won't be able to get the first runnings going, but I can still manage.

Why would I need another burner? Planning on batch sparging, so I can just heat the sparge water on the burner I have. I know it will be a bit of juggling and I won't be able to get the first runnings going, but I can still manage.

See you want it more than you think , go with the intelligent instincts of 27 HBT'ers.:mug:

Back