RIMS + No Sparge question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewSpook

Reaction score
So I am almost finished with my rig. What I have is a 48qt cube cooler with a slotted copper manifold.

I built a RIMs system contained in a toolbox with 1" SS pipe, a 1500W 120V element, a PID controller, a LG pump, all connected with the stainless camlock fittings from proflow dynamics.

I have a 10g kettle on its way from jaybird.

I have been planning on doing no-sparge mashing, just adding all of the water and recirculating during the mash and using the element to ramp up t mash out temps.

My question is, when I am recirculating, do I need to restrict the flow or just open the valves all the way and let it go? I will have the valve on the MLT and also one on the exit side of the RIMs tube.

Never having done this before, or know anyone in the area that has a setup like this I am just looking for some input before I do my first batch next week.

Thanks guys

So I am almost finished with my rig. What I have is a 48qt cube cooler with a slotted copper manifold.

I built a RIMs system contained in a toolbox with 1" SS pipe, a 1500W 120V element, a PID controller, a LG pump, all connected with the stainless camlock fittings from proflow dynamics.

I have a 10g kettle on its way from jaybird.

I have been planning on doing no-sparge mashing, just adding all of the water and recirculating during the mash and using the element to ramp up t mash out temps.

My question is, when I am recirculating, do I need to restrict the flow or just open the valves all the way and let it go? I will have the valve on the MLT and also one on the exit side of the RIMs tube.

Never having done this before, or know anyone in the area that has a setup like this I am just looking for some input before I do my first batch next week.

Thanks guys

If you let the pump run wide open, you could end up compacting the grain bed. I was using my pump before I had my HERMS completed, and had the grain bed compact on me when I was pumping sparge runnings to the kettle. When I did the first real HERMS batch, I had the ball valve at the output of the pump just BARELY open to get a good flow.

You will probably want to put the ball valve directly at the pump output instead of the rims output if you have silicon hose on that path. If you restrict the flow at the RIMS output, the pump could cause the silicon tube to swell and pop.

My output flow valve was originally at the output of my coil, but I had to move it to the output of the pump directly.

I think you have to figure it out based upon your own system in addition to how much water qts/lbs of grain you are using. I know I can run mine wide open, but I usually back it off to about 50% of its top flow. It also is somewhat dependent on how fast your RIMS heater can keep up with the flow, too fast and it might not stay at temp.

I'd be curious to know how the no sparge works for you, post back!

Thats kind of what I had been thinking... Thanks for your responses.

Yeah I am pretty excited to try a continuously recirced no sparge brew. Just thinking how easy that would be, I could have a few more brews during the brew day :)

I will update when I get it done.

Back