Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Grrr, this guy needs a grain mill...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
jfrank85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Grrr, this guy needs a grain mill...

Just took my starting sg on my ipa i am doing today, 8 points under I was shooting for 1.058 and I hit 1.048. I mostly blame the HBS for the poor crush (lots of half and whole pieces in the bag) and also myself for not having them re-run the grain. I know it wasn't the mash since i hit my temps perfect and they held the whole time. Bummer, live and learn. Guess i'll boil a little down to get to my target.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

A lot of guys have success with Corona Mills, which are cheaper than barley crushers, but you must be careful, especially if you're using a manifold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
jfrank85
Recipes 

Na, I'm the kind of guy that will save the extra money and buy the better of the two, saves money and headache in the long run.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Then there you go. I have two neighbors with grain mills, barley crushers to be exact. I just borrow them or go over to their house. Same with bottling equipment (minus the bottles/caps, which I source).

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #5
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 38

When I relied on a home brew shop mill I had noticed some of the grain was still while, but had bee compressed enough that when I pinched the kernel it would easily break, so before I purchased my own mill I took a clay mixer (which I used during mash in, later) and stirred the grain in the bucket dry. It really helped crack those grains that were 'almost' there.

Just personal experience of a work around till then.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
jfrank85
Recipes 

UPDATE- I found out that the lhbs recently oiled, cleaned, and adjusted the crush size of their mill. I ended up @ 1.044 on a mild that was supposed to be 1.038! Not complaining at all about this! I ended up with an 83.5% efficiency.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #7
born3z
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah, I just used my Barley Crusher for the first time today and got 83% efficiency with the factory setting. Never got close to that with the crush from the LHBS. Of, course the only problem with that is the possibility of a 6.8% ABV Pale Ale!

Old 02-13-2012, 12:18 AM   #8
ron,ar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default speaking of grain mills

I hear a lot about corona mills which I know are small hand or drill driven mills. Also see mention of several others including a "Monster Mill".
My local brew shop uses a coffe mill...I know this because it says "Coffee" right across the front of it. Big red upright unit. What is every one else using? I am new to all grain but when I step off into something I jump with both feet, (which is why there are 3 kegs in my floor waiting for bulkhead connections). I have been brewing with extracts and partial grains for about 10 years. I didn't switchto AG to make easier beer, I want to make BETTER beer.
But back to grain mills, do most of you have your own or at least have access to one or do most use lhbs mill?
Anybody here build their own mill?
Thanks
ron,ar

Old 02-13-2012, 12:56 AM   #9
Polboy
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I started AG brewing last year and i got myself 2 kegs and corona mill with sack of 2 row for a start, im not paying $1.5 for base malt ever again, i love small footprint of my mill (its in a bucket) and 82% efficiency i get from my system, not bad for $25 mill

Old 02-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #10
jamorgan3777
Recipes 

Used my new Barley Crusher for the first time on Saturday. Had purchased grain that I had them crush, cause I didnt know if the BC would make it in time. Ran it through there and it was much finer than the Midwest Supplies crush. Did BIAB and hit 80% efficiency. I doubt I would have gotten that with the original crush. Cant wait to use it again!

Quick Reply