floral/rose aroma hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KuntzBrewing

Reaction score
The best example is Uplands Dragonfly IPA, I absolutely love the floral/rose flavor/aroma this beer has, I want to know what hop this is, I've heard ahtanum but the description of this hop is everything but consistant. I want to get a strong floral taste with a citrus/orangy hop flavor as well, I want floral to dominate tho. Any suggestions? They don't list the hops used on their website

I always thought of tettenanger as havinging a rose/floral aroma. It is one of my favorites. I don't know if they are still available.

Adam

Sorry to "exhume" this thread up but I still can't find a good answer to Kuntzbrewing's and my search for a dominating floral/rose aroma.

I posted my own thread, tried dried rose tea buds in one batch (which produced only the faintest rose aroma yet slight sourness) and in another batch thrown in hops that are touted as being highly aromatic and all as late additions (German Perle, vanguard and tettnang).

Does anyone have any knowledge on creating an overwhelming rose/floral aroma? Perhaps it's not from hops or dried roses! My inspiration all along was a Spanish wheat beer I tried called Estrella Inedit which I fell in love with instantly (anyone who's tried it will understand what aroma I'm after).

Certainly bumped an old one:)

Dried hibiscus flowers steeped at flameout create a really nice floral aroma. 6oz per 5 gallons works nice

Interesting pointers I can look into, thanks. BTW, how's the flyfishing there?

No problem. Please report back post-brewing. NB mentions geraniol - maybe hibiscus has this in it?

The fishing's good - provided you have a decent double haul. It can get a bit breezy around here.

Rosehips Can taste pretty floral.
I had a batch of cascade pellets a couple of years ago that were super floral, almost perfumy. Somewhere I saw a list of various hop oils and their characteristics, with the varieties that contain high levels of each oil. That might help you find the right variety. I'll see if I can find it for you.

No problem. Please report back post-brewing. NB mentions geraniol - maybe hibiscus has this in it?

The fishing's good - provided you have a decent double haul. It can get a bit breezy around here.

Geranium is actually the flavor/aroma compound found in Geraniums which are also edible BTW, the petals...... I would think Geranium petals could be used as well.

I've just found a heavy article by the Journal of the Institute of Brewing based on a high level laboratory experiment on the impact the three monoterpene alcohols geraniol, beta-citronellol and linalool have on beer flavors! After reading that, I needed a beer.

For those interested I've attached a link to the article below but, in short, their conclusion seems to be:

To achieve a strong citrusy flavor and floral aroma, all three monoterpene alcohols (geraniol, beta-citronellol and linalool) must be present in the wort. Especially rich geraniol sources are Coriander seeds and Citra hops (German aroma hops are geraniol-poor). Linalool also comes from Coriander seeds and certain raw hops. Little B-Citronellol is found in raw hops but it is created during geraniol metabolism by the yeast.

Looks like my next experiment will involve hibiscus flowers, coriander seeds and citra hops! If it tastes like crap I guess I can always use it as a shampoo.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/j.2050-0416.2010.tb00428.x/pdf

You Wyomingian fishermen get around. I've just returned from flyfishing the Mongolian wilderness (plenty of double-hauling needed there) and I bumped into an elderly flyfishing guide from Wyoming at Ulaanbatar airport and the 2 guides on the river for my trip were from Montana and Wyoming!

:off:...I know.

I've just found a heavy article by the Journal of the Institute of Brewing based on a high level laboratory experiment on the impact the three monoterpene alcohols geraniol, beta-citronellol and linalool have on beer flavors! After reading that, I needed a beer.

For those interested I've attached a link to the article below but, in short, their conclusion seems to be:

To achieve a strong citrusy flavor and floral aroma, all three monoterpene alcohols (geraniol, beta-citronellol and linalool) must be present in the wort. Especially rich geraniol sources are Coriander seeds and Citra hops (German aroma hops are geraniol-poor). Linalool also comes from Coriander seeds and certain raw hops. Little B-Citronellol is found in raw hops but it is created during geraniol metabolism by the yeast.

Looks like my next experiment will involve hibiscus flowers, coriander seeds and citra hops! If it tastes like crap I guess I can always use it as a shampoo.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/j.2050-0416.2010.tb00428.x/pdf

Interesting, I was actually just engaged in a conversation with a professor from Siebel discussing this very same article during a sensory tasting I attended.

Floral is a difficult note to find because most hops are listed with other descriptors than floral. Yes, coriander seeds are great for citrus, IME, I would not really say floral but you need to be careful, they are potent and you need only a little for a lot of citrus note in your beer!

I know a lot of people like Citra as well but personally, I'm not a huge fan as in there being too much I get 'cat piss' as the primary taste. I think I'm just sensitive to it...............

You Wyomingian fishermen get around. I've just returned from flyfishing the Mongolian wilderness (plenty of double-hauling needed there) and I bumped into an elderly flyfishing guide from Wyoming at Ulaanbatar airport and the 2 guides on the river for my trip were from Montana and Wyoming!

:off:...I know.

It may be OT, but considering the varied life lessons it teaches a person, flyfishing is always relevant to a conversation!
Having guided a few western states and AK, I can rightfully be accused of getting around, but I'd probably trade all of those experiences for 1 trip to Mongolia! I've dreamt of that for years. Congrats on making it happen. I'm sure it was spectacular.
And you're right - it would take a good DH to cast flies the size of squirrels (assuming you were after taimen).

considering the varied life lessons it teaches a person, flyfishing is always relevant to a conversation!

Well said. I'm sure you'll get a chance to fish there as Mongolia's gradually becoming more accessible (heck, in my group there was even a recently retired LAPD officer!). If it makes you feel better, the only person who caught a taimen was the Wyomingian and the fish was 53 inches.

Just to ensure things are kept on topic, I had a beer on the river. Wasn't very aromatic.

Try a whirlpool addition, and dry hop addition of Amarillo and Centennial. The only beer I've tasted the rose flavor in was Peeper Ale, there's a clone recipe here on HBT. I've done single hop Amarillo and single hop Centennial and never got the rose flavor, so you might only get it with the combo. I've also read geraniol can give a rose flavor, and another compound in hops nerol also could give a rose flavor. I'm interested in trying that Dragonfly mentioned in the first post now. Thanks for digging up an old thread.

Good tips Buna Bere, thanks. I dug around for the Peeper clone and found the hops used are already on my list of hops widely claimed to produce floral aromas (Ahtanum, Amarillo, Crystal, Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Citra, EKG, Perle, Tettnanger, Williamette).

Do let us know how the Dragonfly turns out for you.

Gents, i haven't forgotten this chat about finding outstanding floral aroma and what i discovered last night was the astonishing Nelson Sauvin hop. The aroma is just mind-blowing and i'd strongly recommend it! Perhaps it's more aromatic fruit than floral (maybe some "honey floral-ness"???) but it's truly mind-blowing nevertheless.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/ode-nelson-not-mandela-sauvin-457198/

Nelson Sauvin is one of my all time favorite hops! It is my secret ingredient in a number of brews just to add a layer of hop complexity with its vinous and tropical fruity flavors and aromas. Love it in my Cascadian. I need to buy a pound so I can play with it a little more, maybe do a single hop brew to isolate the flavors and aromas it contributes.

In my CDA I use NS as a whirlpool addition. The more I read about and experiment with whirlpool hopping the more I cut out dry hops. Saves me time, hassle, and beer!

Back