Easiest way to get into AG brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gio

Reaction score
I've been doing AG and partial mash 5 gallon brews using a BIAB method. I'm looking into getting into real AG brewing but I'm not sure what is the easiest and cheapest way or if it is even possible given that I live in an apartment. Presently I can deal with 10lbs grain using BIAB but I tend to brew higher gravity beers which means I'm stuck doing a partial mash or brewing 3 gallon batches much of the time.

For a mash tun, I'll probably get a 10 gallon cooler and convert it, or get one that is already converted.

My brew pot is a bigger problem though. I only have a 6 gallon brew pot and that is about as big as my apartment stove can handle. I might be able to deal with an 8 gallon pot but it already takes a very long time for my 6 gallon pot to bowl on my cheap gas stove. I'm not sure anything bigger than 8 would fit on the stove anyways. One option is to get another 6 (or 8) gallon pot and make use of two burners and split the batch up, recombining them when they boil down. This should also cut the boil down time in half. Is this commonly done, or is this a bad idea?

I've thought about getting a propane burner, but it seems those are meant to be used outside and I'm not sure something like that would be safe in my apartment. Do I have any other options?

I've been doing AG and partial mash 5 gallon brews using a BIAB method. I'm looking into getting into real AG brewing but I'm not sure what is the easiest and cheapest way or if it is even possible given that I live in an apartment. Presently I can deal with 10lbs grain using BIAB but I tend to brew higher gravity beers which means I'm stuck doing a partial mash or brewing 3 gallon batches much of the time.

For a mash tun, I'll probably get a 10 gallon cooler and convert it, or get one that is already converted.

My brew pot is a bigger problem though. I only have a 6 gallon brew pot and that is about as big as my apartment stove can handle. I might be able to deal with an 8 gallon pot but it already takes a very long time for my 6 gallon pot to bowl on my cheap gas stove. I'm not sure anything bigger than 8 would fit on the stove anyways. One option is to get another 6 (or 8) gallon pot and make use of two burners and split the batch up, recombining them when they boil down. This should also cut the boil down time in half. Is this commonly done, or is this a bad idea?

I've thought about getting a propane burner, but it seems those are meant to be used outside and I'm not sure something like that would be safe in my apartment. Do I have any other options?

Do you by chance have a balcony or patio for a burner? If not I'd do the 2 kettle deal on the stove and combine them in the fermenter. Or look into what bendbrewer said. I've heard that can work but I'm no help in that area.

Do you by chance have a balcony or patio for a burner? If not I'd do the 2 kettle deal on the stove and combine them in the fermenter. Or look into what bendbrewer said. I've heard that can work but I'm no help in that area.

I do have a balcony but I'd get in serious trouble if I tried to use any kind of flame on it. There is a law about having fire within on balconies in my state and they take it pretty seriously. I do have a backyard I could use, but its awfully cold outside right now anyways. But in the summer when it's warm enough to be outside long enough to brew it will probably be too hot for fermenting. I guess I just can't win.

What is the stove like? Is it possible to get a Brew Kettle that would cover 2 burners?

Probably not. Its not a small stove, it just doesn't have a high powered burner and it does have a lot of overhead clearance as there is a microwave above it.

I had the same problem not being able to get 7-8 gallons boiling on my 'lectric stove. I was able to get two 5 gallon aluminum pots (one from goodwill the other from a restaurant supply store) and boil in each. Not to bring up the AL vs SS debate, but I was looking for heat conductivity and AL is perfect for a low output stove. Also, by having 2 pots it can making cooling your wort a little quicker.

I do have a balcony but I'd get in serious trouble if I tried to use any kind of flame on it. There is a law about having fire within on balconies in my state and they take it pretty seriously. I do have a backyard I could use, but its awfully cold outside right now anyways. But in the summer when it's warm enough to be outside long enough to brew it will probably be too hot for fermenting. I guess I just can't win.

I guess I understand the fire thing but I hate stupid rules. I guess that means no gas grills either. Efing nanny state!
Maybe brewing in the yard is an option if its not too much of a PITA carrying stuff back and forth. Just a thought.
This winter has been cold but if I waited for warm weather, I'd never brew. I brewed Sunday and it was 25*. Sort of cold but not bad. Just stand close to the burner. I even mashed outside trying out the limits of my extreme cooler. I kept 150-151 for the whole hour.

Anyway, I hope you figure something out.

The cheapest way would be to get another small pot and split the batch. I would get one bigger pot, like 40-44 qt then you could do one full 5 gallon batch at once. If your stove can`t handle the full batch then addiing a heat stick will defiantly work.

Pre-made from Northern Brewer for 160 roughly

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-equipment/burners/electric-brew-heater-11.html

or DIY for about 30 bucks

http://www.cedarcreeknetworks.com/heatstick.htm

http://www.3d0g.net/brewing/heatstick

I am going to make one just to have but I and confident in my electrical skills, if your not get someone who is to help you. Make sure it is plugged into a GFI plug in or you can KILL yourself.

VB

Back