Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Dry hopping question....any input appreciated.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
naderchaser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dry hopping question....any input appreciated.

So, this is probably a redundant and highly varied question, but how long is "too long" to leave in dry hops before racking to keg?
I've got a really tasty IPA that has been in primary for 2 weeks, and i've got 1oz of Citra, Magnum and Crystal that I plan to use, and plan to leave it in primary for another week to 10 days.
Am I dry hopping too early? I really don't want to screw up this already tasty beer by leaving my dry hop addition in too long (starting it early).

Thanks in advance....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2011, 11:01 PM   #2
BainbridgeBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You'll be fine, you can go up to about 14 days once you dry hop. I've read that anything over that may impart some grassy / vegetative flavors. My hoppy IPA's usually sit with the dry hops in for 10 - 14 days before I bottled.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:08 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

I dryhop about a week before packaging, no matter how long the beers been in the fermenter. That maintains the best flavor and doesn't risk pulling out any grassy or vegetal flavors.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:28 PM   #4
Beezy
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

It seems like the folks that get the grassy taste from longer than a week are those that buy bulk hops and dont reseal properly leading to oxidized hops. Still my first dry hop here I am going 7 days then bottle.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:06 AM   #5
naderchaser
Recipes 

Thanks for the input.
With all that being said, this IPA has an OG of 1.074 and finished at 1.009. The WLP001 went absolutely ballistic (obviously) and finished about 6 points below where I had intended.
What would you expect out of this beer, based on that? I'm guessing it's going to be super dry, and hope the alcohol content doesn't overpower. ????

Old 05-24-2011, 02:52 AM   #6
Beezy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by naderchaser
Thanks for the input.
With all that being said, this IPA has an OG of 1.074 and finished at 1.009. The WLP001 went absolutely ballistic (obviously) and finished about 6 points below where I had intended.
What would you expect out of this beer, based on that? I'm guessing it's going to be super dry, and hope the alcohol content doesn't overpower. ????
I am far from an expert but that sounds like Imperial land to me. You can prolly hop the crap out of that.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:57 AM   #7
Boleslaus
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Should be around 8.5%. Wow, 88% attenuation! What temp did you ferment at?

Watch me leap through this hoop!

My current line-up:

Fermenter 1: Altbier

Old 05-24-2011, 03:06 AM   #8
naderchaser
Recipes 

Ya, the recipe was borderline IIPA to start with, and now that it attenuated so well, it's definitely and Imperial.
I fermented at 66-68....and it accidentally got up to 70 for a few hours. Other than that, it stayed between 66-68. Two vials of WLP001, mainly because it turned into a big beer, and I didn't do a starter. Lag time of ~18 hours, but when it went....it was fermenting solid for 1 week straight.
Go White Labs!!!

Old 05-24-2011, 03:51 AM   #9
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 605

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
It seems like the folks that get the grassy taste from longer than a week are those that buy bulk hops and dont reseal properly leading to oxidized hops.
Hmmm...You should gather your data and prove your assumption. I await the results.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:02 AM   #10
Beezy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaefebs

Hmmm...You should gather your data and prove your assumption. I await the results.
I am not trying to prove anything. I am just making an observation off of a thread from somewhere else where several brewers admitted that they didn't take proper care in storing there hops and subsequently had problems with dry hopping longer than a week where as others had no problems dry hopping much longer. I decided to take the advice on just a week anyway because I don't know any better at this point.

Quick Reply